Cultivated Reef

Ricordia Question

reeferbarra20

reeferbarra20

I'm starting a 75 gallon tank and was wondering if ricordea mushrooms can stand 4000gph indirect flow and 250 watt Mhs or not? I 'd want to put them at the bottom of the reef out of direct light, and probably hang the halides 16' off of the water surface.

Ricordea does not like MH or high Flow.

I keep mine in the shadows created from the over hang from Rock Ledges. They get plenty of light, just not directly from the MH

They are doing great and have split.

There will be plenty of places in that tank for rics. Mine are fine 10" under direct 150W halide. They love light, and IMO look best even, with halides.

And 4000GPH isnt really all that much either.

My rics are under 250watt. Tigah's are under 250watt. The lighting isn't a problem, the gph might be. I'd just find a nice area where there isn't much flow. It's what Tigah and I do in our tanks and we both keep acros.

Here is what Live Aquaria has

It will adapt to a wide variety of lighting conditions, and care should be taken to acclimate this coral to metal halide lighting. Place the coral low in the aquarium until it opens fully, then gradually over a few weeks, move the coral to the desired location. It prefers a low water movement within the aquarium.

Perhaps I will move mine to a spot closer so they are under my MH 150's to see how they do. Maybe they will grow even more:D

Hmm! How nice. More info that leads me to believe my rics are cupping up due to too much flow, not too much or too little light Thanks guys. It pays to cruise the forums.

Archived