ReefCleaners.org

New Live Rock with Some Sort of "fishing" organism

Doriftu

About 4 days ago I introduced live rock to my new 5gallon setup. I've noticed many of the normal interesting creatures sprouting/popping up everywhere, however, i have found one that I am unable to identify.

It features what would appear to be a fishing type arm that has a barbed end on it as well as many barbs on the line, I have seen this thing reach out as far as over 2" from its hole in the rock. Anyone have a clue what this thing is, Picture below.

Yep, a finger hydroid is what it is. There was a post a while back about how someones cleaner shrimp was killed by one. Not sure if that is the only reason, but that is what was thought by the poster.

I also noticed some of those in my new 12.5 tank. I'm new to this hobby and I'm trying to find out what are these "things".

I looked at the link that supernova posted and it has a similar look to the Finger Hydroid. The polyp is about 1/16" tall. The "web" goes out anywhere from 1" to 5". I noticed one the first night and now there are about five. Some of them don't even have a polyp, just a small bump on the rock.

I'll post a picture later.

thanks for the info, i believe im going to try and pluck the bastard out of there, as i dont want to bother/kill any of my future tank inhabitants.

well i used a really piece of krap sony clie (palm equivelant) that takes pictures, however, i used a magnifying glass in front of the lense to sort of zoom in, this allowed me to focus on that area. I tried using another camera with a zoom but it continously would focus on the wrong object.

ok, i believe i have eradicated the little sucker, i wasn't going to take a chance of it hurting anything i will be adding to the tank in the near future

Thanks for the help everyone!

Archived