Top Shelf Aquatics

Good enough for a minibow stand?

DongShenYin

LOL that's EXACTLY what I use. And my 10 gallon refugium fits nicely beneath it. I didn't lock the top to it and I left the thin back panels off for better access.

I don't have photos yet though it's settin' right here a work in progress. To assemble it you use locking screw heads. I just left them off so that I can take the top off and put it back on as I assemble the setup. Below I have a 10 gal AGA refugium goin' in lighted by a CSL light. It also has a remora skimmer hanging off the back on one side and an EHEIM 1250 return pump on the other. I'm working out the plumbing rt. now. It will have a SCWD in line.

I'm planning to keep my topoff water in the cabinet. What size pail do you think will fit? A 3-gallon? I think it'll be too small for a 5 gallon. How waterproof is the wood? Are you going to put varnish on it?

I don't know how waterproof it is but I sprayed it with two coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic. I may get a piece of glass for the top but I doubt it. You can comfortably fit something 10" deep X 21"long X 20" high in the bottom.

Actually, SaltyDawg made me a float switch thingy like yours. I'm waiting for it to show up through the blizzard. How far does the water go down before it kicks in? And I have a Mini-Jet 606, which is what he recommended to me.

I got the stand today! Now all I have to do is buy the varnish. Does anyone make varnish that's waterproof against saltwater? I guess it would be more convenient to paint the stand before I assemble it.

jenniebutterfly

i would do inside too to protect the wood inside if you are putting a sump in there. i mean there will be moisture inside so i would. plus you are going to have more than you need after doing the outside so you might as well do inside as well

Archived