ReefCleaners.org

refugium connection

cjm033

i have a 2.5 gal tank and i want to setup a refugium im porble gonna do a small kritter keeper ne way iwas wondering how i woul get the water form one tank o the other? any ideas? which tank should be higher elavated the main tank or the refugium? thanks for you help any other input would would be appreciated,Chris

IF you have the refugium higher, you can pump water into it from the main tank with a powerhead. Then at where you want the water level to be on the refugium, cut a hole, and use a bulkhead or some other way to get a sealed tube leading back down to your main tank. That will allow gravity to get water back down to your main tank. Sorry that was kinda jumbled :P I am gonna set up a refugium for my 5.5g tank eventualy (as in after I get a canopy built for my 29g) good luck!

I'm also working on setting up a 2.5 gallon with a refugium. I'm planning on using an Aqua Clear 400 power filter for the 'fuge if I can figure out how to lower the gph. I haven't checked yet but I'm hoping that I can swap the pump on the 400 with the pump from an Aqua Clear mini.

Salim

i would do that wit my whisper power filter cept its all balck lol but i think im gonna go buy one of those double betta hexes at walmart for 4 $ im tryn to think of where i could get an overflow type thing like on the front of hob filters and maby have a piece of tubing push wate rinto the fuge like a vacum im probly gonna have just some lr caupulera ls and a pepermint shrimp if i get one to use for my cleanup crew (ill probly put him in there cuz i heard they have bad habits of nibbling on corals)do you think that would be big enough for the shrimp though? the main reason for me to add the fuge is for maby frags if i get any in the furutre so they have sum place to be untili sell or trade them and to add a little more water capacity to the tank. and i have a question on the lighting could i use one of those 6 inch flourecent lights that are like 4 watts? or wouldnt that be enough? i mean the fuge capacity would probly be no more than a half gallon. thanks for your help,Chris

Chris,

If you go to the member's nanos section and do a search you will find my thread on my setup... is called "My 5.5 and 'fuge"

It is exactly the kind of setup you were talking about originally. I am even using a KritterKeeper,hehe

I have a Mini Penguin HOB filter with a MiniJet 404 sitting in it to feed the fuge and the overflow just dumps back into the HOB. I am sure there is a bit of recirculation going on but mostly the return water is swept immediately back into the tank if that made sense.

Originally posted by glazer

Chris,

If you go to the member's nanos section and do a search you will find my thread on my setup... is called "My 5.5 and 'fuge"

I'm also interested in this kind of set-up, but can't find your thread.

I searched high and low, and it's probably just newbie stupidity :blush:

Any way you can post a link to your thread?

Susanne

what if i got a piece of pvc and drilled holes so it was like a spray bar type thing and use some silicone sealant so the tube onected to the pvc and made a "t" shape and had a piece of tubuing a lil bit bigger to go up to the refugium? do you think that would would work?,Chris

Archived