Top Shelf Aquatics

skimmer or no skimmer

tufty711

in my 18 g tank with 13kg live rock 45pounds live sand which has been set up for 6 weeks and has a clown and a midas blenny i was wonderin if i should continue using my skimmer (seaclone) on my tank because i want a natural approch and to keep plankton in the water .

im not sure if it will affect the tank much because its only taking out about 10ml every week.

can you give me your opinion about what to do.

a seaclone should not really remove plankton. heck if you want to feed heavy leave it on...if you don't (i would rather feed heavy!) want to then take it off and do weekly water changes. i personally in my tank have seen better results w/ feeding heavy and skimming

Lunchbucket

Let me see....?lbs=13kgx1000g/kg=13,000g/454g/lb=28.6lbs of live rock. I would say if you really have 13kg of live rock in an 18gal. tank that the skimmer is optional. Do a test...stop using it for a while and do frequent tests and see what happens. I would think that with frequent h2O changes that everything will be fine....just my 2 cents...

keep the skimmer. Depending on what you intend to keep, it might come in handy. Ive gone back to skimming more frequently on a coulple tanks.... they really need it. Im geting a lot of cross polution and chemical warfare.

Archived