inTank Media Baskets

Anemones in Nano Tanks

a novice

Hi everyone :) ,

I would like to hear everyones views on keeping anemones in nano tanks. If you are against the concept of keeping one I would like to know why.

I have seen many sucessful tanks under 25g which house anemones. The general concenceus seems to be that they are too difficult to keep in smaller tanks.... my question is, why? The major problems that have been brought to my attention can all be solved if the tank is setup with an anemone in mind.

Problems-

Water Quality: 1) good protein skimmer 2)don't overstock 3)auto topoff

Size: 1) choose an anemone type that stays smaller 2)don't put other corals in the tank

Lighting: I don't really see this as a problem and it's pretty simple to solve it.

Many people bring up the high mortality rate of anemones. I agree, but does this issue apply with cloned specimens? Much of the stress and starvation occurs during capture and shipping. When this element is taken out, it seems like the mortality rate is much much lower. Comments? :blush:

I am considering starting a tank with an anemone and before I do so, I would like to find out all that I can. Also, if you're keeping an anemone in a smaller tank could you give tank specs and experiences?

Thanks.

if you think you're ready, go for it. start with a condylactis though (cheap weed anemone) and if it survives you know you can at least have a chance to graduate onto the more expensive colorful ones. if it dies start over.

if that sounds cruel, remember it's better that way than if you were to go right out and get a magnificent or a carpet as the first guinea pig. that's more cruel imo, not to mention prohibitively expensive.

anemones do have a high mortality rate but the two things that keep them from my tank are the mess they cause if they die (three things if you count that smell) and the fact that they will move around and wreak havoc on anything else that is kept in the tank. Oh and there is always the wonderful possibility that the stupid creature will find itself stuck in the intake of a powerhead or overflow, thus killing it, releasing those toxins that crash the tank and, even worse, emitting that stench that is so foul Satan himself would gag from it.

printerdown01

I know that if I wanted to I could succesfully keep an anenome alive in a nano... My biggest problem with them is the fact that they will sting my other inhabitants. When you have a torch coral or a hammer, at least you can isolate them, so that they have enough space for their sweepers. With an anemone I would have to keep a careful eye as it wandered around my tank! I would rather not add something that will walk around and sting my other inhabitants. -just my reason for not having them...

I'm with printerdown.... I certainly think it's possible if the nano is well cared for. I went ahead and put a rose BTA in a 5g, but with the intent that the anemone be the centerpiece of the tank. Other corals were chosen and placed with the consideration that this was the anemone's home.

So far, so good. The rose hasn't moved since introduced, and everyone appears to be thriving.

Who needs Friends when ya have Anemones?

or was that ..... keep yer Friends close, but yer Anemones closer....???

condys are cool, but they pack a strong whallop. If ya go to www. drmack corals.com (I believe is the site) they have cloned Anemones. If ya have the proper setup, they can be spectaciular.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by MKramer

I'm with printerdown....  I certainly think it's possible if the nano is well cared for.  I went ahead and put a rose BTA in a 5g, but with the intent that the anemone be the centerpiece of the tank.  Other corals were chosen and placed with the consideration that this was the anemone's home.  

So far, so good.  The rose hasn't moved since introduced, and everyone appears to be thriving.

MKramer,

I have thought about doing this myself. Can you post some details of your tank and lights?

• 3 weeks later...

I would go with a bubble tip. The greens are fairly cheap and I think they are the most hardy of the anemones available to us. I would add the anenome first and let it find it's spot. After it has been in it's sport for a week or 2 then add any other corals wanted. (Bubbles also don't have a bad sting)

• 3 weeks later...

Remember Anemones only move when they cannot survive at the place they are at due to lighting, water flow, or diet. If they continue moving after all of these have been met, it is usually because of water chemistry, water quality, trace elemets, dosing. When it is satisfied with its position in the tank it will stay there untill it can no longer survive at that spot, I have witnessed a Heteractis magnifica stay in one spot in a 1000 gallon reef for over a year.

I had a condy once, but it died due to poor lighting. My light fell into the tank and blew out. The condy went with out good lights for 5 day and shrunk up and died. I have a grape branch coral and it sort of looks like an anemone and that is good enough for me. Lee

Hi Guys,

I would definitely recommend keeping a proteing skimmer on the nano tank like a seaclone, prizm, or skilter to keep water quality high as well as enough pc's and watts per gallon to sustain the anemone.

I would very highly recommend making sure all pump intakes are covered by pre-sponge to keep the anemone from getting sucked up in the intake.

Rob

It seems like quite a few people keep anemones in nanos. If you do, could you post pics and specs of your tank?

I am starting to think that it can be done as long as the anemone is the centerpiece of the tank and has enough room to its self. I had sorta forgotten about this thread, as I had given up on the idea of a nano because of college/life/simply being too busy, but I am still interested in your setups.

Thanks and good luck with your anemones.

Here is a pic of my tank. 2 Rose's and 1 - 8" Bta. There are also 30 or so smaller (quarter size) anemones in the tank.

Remember, I am the exception to the rule! :)

22303-Full-Tank-Shot.jpg

Archived