ReefCleaners.org

New Corals, First Corals

$imple

I was looking around at an LFS in my area that I usually don't go to and I saw two corals that I was able to negotiate a bargain price for (at least in my area) and I had a general idea that they weren't impossibles. I purchased a Candy Cane Coral and a Green Metallic Brain. Can anyone give me some care/experience information? These are also my first corals. I also purchased some calcium supplements for it. Is there anything else I should add/feed to them?

i would just say to go do a search online for caulastrea(candy cane) and for lobophyllia(try to figure out what actual species your brain coral is...is it an open brain, closed brain, etc.), manicina, scolymnia, symphyllia, trachyphyllia and wellsophyllia...there are more types of open brains but i can't remember them. lol. both the caulastrea and the brain corals are generally very easy to take care of. you probably don't need the calcium supplements though...waterchanges should be sufficient enough. you can feed them with cyclopeeze, brine, and mysis, though it may take them awhile to extend their feeder tentacles. anyway, when you find out what kind of brain it is, do a search on google and you should probably find a bunch of information. hth.

I'm kind of confused now as to what my other coral (the candy cane supposedly) is. I looked around and it doesnt look like the others. It has bright red colored ring around a greyish center with a bumpy texture. Can someone ID? I don't have the CF Reader for my comp so I can't take a picture but from what I've provided, any guesses?

I think it may be a red brain.

Archived