Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moon Coral

waldend

I have tried to find some info on this coral but haven't found much. I am curious how common or rare this particular coloring is for a moon coral. Thanks for the help!

this coloration is not common, but definetly not rare either...i've got a good sized colony and it's just gorgeous! try looking up favia as the species of coral...common names usually don't get you too far in the search for information. =)

favia polyps/corallites are seperate from one another and favites polyps/corallites appear fused together without space in between them.

wow, that's a steal for 20 bucks(the price it is at now!) most people sell colonies like that for around 80-120 bucks! i got mine for a steal at 50, but thats still quite a nice piece!

Those favias have been coming in from Indonesia the past few weeks. Generally, red on a coral will indicate that it is a lower light lover. I haven't held mine long enough to see what they prefer in the long run, but while they're here they're in the metal halide "picture taking" tank and do fine.

Thanks for the replies! It is definately a nice piece. Too bad that it is like 20 degress here in IN. I figure my luck if I bought it, it would not survive the shipping. Hopefully I can find one here locally sometime but the only ones i see are the brown outs that are still a fortune!

Archived