Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BelowH20's Aqua Vase.

BelowH2O

While all but few of you have been dazzling the NR community with larger tanks this new year, I have decided to go smaller, simpler, and more economical! Introducing my little blue aqua-vase...lol...

9040DSCF0338.jpg

i had one of those! looks nice rory! just make sure you keep the temps up. in the summertime i had one of these up but couldn't keep the night temp above 70! fun tank while it was there though.

Ok, ok...I'm gonna do a little work on this thing. I plan on keeping the intense (lol) 7 watt aqualux 7200k lighting, but what I did was cut the length of the stand shorter so the light is now an inch and a half closer to the water. I'm not too worried about the increase in evaporation because of the lower heat output. I'm probably going to lower it another inch or so.

For heat...I am trying to devise a small scale heating pad, or a mini-geothermal heating system. Not quite sure yet, as I want to keep this as clean and stock as possible. I'm even getting some macro-algaes tuesday, to make it an all inclusive filtered system.

For coral, I have kept mushrooms and zoas healthy under 30 watts of NO in a ten gallon, which is less than 3 watts per gallon. Now on the second day I took some shrooms and zoas from that tank and they look really good. Also, there are a couple of hemits and a cerith snail enjoying the peaceful desktop paradise...

this thread inspired me to get one of these little guys..... I just set it up last night and it may go to the office with me.

quick question, how did you cut the light stand to make it shorter? I tried to pull the metal thing out of the plastic clamp part but I was scared I was going to break it so I stopped and I have it hooked to something beside the tank and about 1" above the water. so how did you not break anything while you were modifying it? I'm stumped.

Oh, and how many crabs did you put in it? I've got a nice scarlet hermit that I know is going in there but I don't know what else.

thanks in advance for answereing my question (If you do)

OH! I think I found something that will take care of that heat problem..........

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_heater...ini.asp?CartId=

it's a 7w heater and you can put it under the substrate. I ordered one last night so hopefully it will work. i think it was like $15 shipped.

jdav:

Cutting the light stand shorter was actually a little tricky. The first thing I did was pull the metal piece from the clamp. I found by twisting and pulling I was able to remove it fairly easily. Then I figured out roughly how short I wanted the light and used a metal cutting bit on a dremel tool to cut the wire piece. The bending wire is actually a metal coil with basically a thin metal sheet wrapped around it. Make sure when your cutting the coil to a) not leave the bit on there to long as it will melt the cord on the inside, B) make sure you dont cut too deep. Once you do this, you can start to unwrap the metal that sheets the coil. This stuff bends pretty easy so you can break it at the point you cut the coil. Now you should have two pieces on the wire, your main stand area, and the length of coil you cut. The tricky part here is that you have to thread the coil off the electric wire, because the coil would be to hard to cut completly, and I'm positive would damage the wire. This step is easily acheived with some small pliers. After all that you just stick the metal stand back into the plactic clamp, you may have to wedge or glue it in there, it was a tight fit on mine. I know this sounds harder than it should, but be patient with the cutting and you should be fine.

If you don't have a dremel, a hacksaw would probably work just as well, and without the heat.

BTW...thanks for the heads up on the heater!

thanks! i think mine may have a little more glue in clamp than your did for some reason.... i could feel the metal part starting to uncoil when i was pulling it... I'll keep trying. In the mean time I've got the light clamped to something beside it so it's doing okay and it's about 1" above the water...... evaporation wasn't to bad last night .... probably 1mm in 9 hours so no biggie.

thanks for the info!

Archived