Pod Your Reef

Ridding aiptisia with Kalk

junglejim83

Alright so i think I'm gonna go with the kalk method of getting rid of aiptisia, b/c i am afriad to get the wrong typ of shrimp and have it destroy my corals, but in one or two spots, i have the stupid things growing right up out from in between my corals, will the kalk harm the corals if i spray near them, the ones i'd be most concerned about are the zoos, and a leather. What do you think?

Jim

I can't remember whether it was here or on one of the other reef boards, but someone said that kalk paste jams up hypodermic needles and recommended getting a soldering syringe at an electronics supply store, with a 25 guage needle.

I'm seriously thinking about leaving my 3 ugly anemonies alone. Do they always spread all over, or is this phobia similar to the way some freshwater aquarists overreact when they spot a few snails in their tanks?

let them be. If they dont sting any thing and they arent reproducing, chances are yer ok. try to mannage yer reef, not kill it. Believe it or not, aiptasia are GREAT reef water cleaners. they eat all sorts of crap. I have a tank that they live in a protected sump area and eat all the food that drift past hem. If they sprout and get out of controll in th email tank, the shrimps and Scat nail them, if they elude them, THEN I would use a blast of calk paste. ya dont have to inject them. a good shot on the top of the head will surfice to melt them...:*( I killed all mine.... now i miss the Sunday activity of reef murderationicides...:D )

Archived