Top Shelf Aquatics

evaporation and change of seasons

chufa

On previous posts I have indicated how I had never observed any significant water loss due to evaporation in my 12 gallon eclipse with 32W PC's within a week between water changes. That has changed. Curiously, the temperature of the room is now much colder than before, but evaporation is more noticeable. The big factor here is that with cold weather, and the central heating running, the room's relative humidity is much lower. Now I am having to add a few topoff water daily. Therefore, humidity appears to be a much bigger factor than temperature as it relates to evaporation in my system. Just wanted to share this small detail with you.

printerdown01

LOL, yup those of us that live on the West Coast use central heating. This stuff will suck water out of your tank more than the summer heat ;)! East Coasters have those radiator things... They are awesome, keep the house all warm and cosy (probably won't even cause nose-bleeds which often accompany our heating and air conditioning units ;) ).

I have noticed a decrease in evaporation over the past couple of weeks (thankfully). For the record, east coaster with radiators and air conditioner in each room and I have every radiator turned off year round and usually have at least one a/c running during the winter (apartment gets africa hot year round for some strange reason) I actually had my tank running without the chiller this week and the temp stayed close to 80 so I might be able to ditch the chiller in another week or two. Hopefully I can get the boys at Aquatic Creations to find my old chiller (teclima I think) and get that set up for the spring.

i have central heating and air and i live on the east coast! when i lived in upstate NY we had a radiator and central heating but no air.

SNOW ........ I miss it. I wish it would snow down here in Central Florida. Perfect sunny days and dry weather all winter really gets you down after awhile.

Archived