SaltCritters.com

Coral invasion

kool_sk8a

xenia.jpg

My Ricordia and mushrooms are being taken over by a species of xenia (not pulsing) that also came on the rock. It started off as just one tiny stalk and is now spreading like mad.

Unlike the pulsing kind, each bit is a different stalk rather then a few on each.

Anyway the xenia is growing over, and through my Ricordia. Will it damage the Ric.? Its looking a bit untidy aswell.

What can i do to stop it from growing through my other corals??

I would have moved the Ricordea before the Xenia spread over it.

not sure if that was an option.

My guess is the Ricordea will not fair well.

maybe you can Frag the Ricordea and save it.

yeh it doesnt look like ric, but thats what i have been told by a few people.

i dont think its a frilly shroom though.

Is the only option it to frag them, is have never attempted fragging before so would it be a risk worth taking. they're nice so i dont want them to die, but today their all closed up.

If i have to frag them, where can i find some good info on this?

I am not an expert on fragging but if you can slice a piece of the shroom off taking a piece of the center with it you can grow a new shroom.

I'd cut it like a pie.

It's either that or leave it be and see what happens. my guess is the Xenia will completly over run the shroom killing it.

scrape that xenia off the rock with a razor blade and stick it somewhere else if you want to keep it. it will probably, more than likely, grow back and you'll have to do it again but that's a good option for the time being.

Archived