Pod Your Reef

Kalkwasser

raciampa

I have started a drip, and after a few minutes the kalkwasser seems to settle at the bottom of the drip supply. Is this a problem? If it is, how do I solve it?

well, yeah, youre supposed to use the water that is between the chunks on the bottom and the skim on the top of the water. i've found that instead of using a DIY doser a "little dripper" (made for reptiles) work quite well for dosing kalk. and a steal at 5 bucks.

The package itself says that the water above the sediment is calcerous water and that settling is natural. It also say so to let the mixture sit for several hours and only make enough for a one week supply. I only pour in the sediment when the jug I'm using is empty, and sometimes not at all. Everything is fine on my end.

I was wondering if the water still contained calcium, eventhough there is sediments on the bottom. I guess I could do a calcium test when the water settles, but I will take your word for it. Thanks guys!

"...solids (left on the bottom of the kalk container) could contain magnesium hydroxide and carbonate, calcium hydroxide and carbonate (though calcium hydroxide is fairly unlikely in unsaturated limewater) and a variety of other impurities, such as alumina, silica, etc."

no worries :)

from

here

Archived