Cultivated Reef

baby crocea or maxima?????

SaltyDawg

Here is a link to a thread in the ID forum.

There is a bi-valve of some type stuck inthe rock work of this fellows LR. It protrudes a purple mantle. It is or looks only to be around 1/4 to 1/2 inch at best. I told him it is possible he got a baby maxima or baby crocea clam with his LR that had fallen into a crevas. ( Since the only type pf clams that have such colors in thier mantle are croceas, maximas, and once in a while dereasa.)

What do you guys think?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...9975#post419975

i have the same thing in my tank, but its on the side of my sun coral. The coral is actually dead now. I dont know why, i did all the tests and everything checked out ok. They just one day stopped coming out for feeding and started to bleach. I noticed on the side this weird clam looking thing was in there and sometimes this velvet purple thing stuck out. Like it was sticking a tongue out at me saying HAHA i killed yout sun coral!!! But seriously, i think this thing irritated the sun coral and thus killed it.

i will crack it open, but not until i get my new tank setup, because currently Its under 40w PC and the new tank will have 175w MH. But is it really a maxima clam?

Could be for both of you. If it is crocea, warriorboy doesn't have enough light for it. They are light whores. I have one in my 20L. I'd try to find a way to chisel it out (for both of you). Before it gets too big and can't open.

Archived