Top Shelf Aquatics

Can my corals get overdose on Iodine?

mike88camaro

Mike,

Isn't it bad to overdose on pretty much everything. Too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing, etc...

IF YOU DON'T TEST FOR IT, DO NOT DOSE IT

If you feel that you have dosed too much of anything, do a water change as soon as possible.

Mark

Originally posted by SubZero

IF YOU DON'T TEST FOR IT, DO NOT DOSE IT

Exactly!

Do your system a favor and dump the Iodine in the trash.

you do not need it. LFS love sell anything they can.

Regular water changes will replenish depleted trace elements and keep your tank stable and thriving.

Originally posted by EL Diablo

Regular water changes will replenish depleted trace elements and keep your tank stable and thriving.

If you use RO water or RO/DI, wouldn't those trace elements be missing? Although I suppose once you mix the salt in, much of it is replenished, but is it still adequate? There are a number of factors that go into deciding whether or not to dose. Many people say not to dose without testing first. Many people also dose without testing first. Generally though, if you aren't testing and you wish to dose, you should only be doing very small amounts (probably less than what the container says to do). Generally a drop of Iodine a day in a 10-20 gallon tank would be pretty safe, especially if you have a lot of corals that consume it (softies). You still might want to get a test kit to see if there is excess iodine, or an iodine deficiancy in your system, but then you run into another problem: test kit accuaracy...

If you protein skim (which removes trace elements and iodine) you should replace these lost elements, as regular water changes do help replenish but my not be sufficient.

As far as iodine goes, overdoseing can be very dangerous. Everyone has their own opinion: some dose others never dose iodide. I started dosing it 2 months ago, and i have to say that i have seen a huge improvement of certain corals.

the trace elements are in the SW mix not the RO water as you mention

and yes you do not get exact amounts of all trace elements when you do a water change. Especially Iodine since a tank can deplete it quickly. also some Corals dont like Iodine

the point I am making about Iodine is IMO you do not need to Dose it to keep a thriving tank. I really see no point in adding something that potentially such a small amount can be toxic the tank. unless you have accurate testing for it and test often why bother? So many keep amazing systems without adding Iodine.

As we all know there are many ways to skin a cat in this hobby.

I've taken the stay away from Iodine approach and it has worked for me.

Archived