Innovative Marine Aquariums

Green Star Polyps

renichms

I recently bought some green star polyps. Each morning, within a half hour of the lights coming on, they come out and wave in the current, all a gorgeous green color. However, several hours before the lights turn off, they all retract and don't come back out until the next day.

I have a Minibow 5 tank with a screw base fluorescent light, rated at 11 watts, equivalent to 50 watt incandescent lighting. This can't possibly be too much, can it? I have the polyps high in the tank, underneath the filter return, because I was told it would need good flow and decent light and since the light is so weak when compared to HO, PC, VHO or MH, I thought it best to place it high.

Any tips on getting it to stay out or should I just wait? It has been in around 3 days, coming out and looking pretty good each day. No problems with water quality either.

RN

should be all fine; dont worry! :) just make sure its fairly close to the top or centered right under the most intense part of the bulb; and has some fairly decent water movement; putting any additives? iodine?

I found a pest anenome today, very close to the GSP. If it stung the GSP, could it cause one of the polyps to turn black and come out of its sleeve-thing in the base? I saw one floating around the tank a few hours after I got the anenome out.

RN

Anenome gone, getting better flow...first time ever, the polyps have stayed out all day long. :) 2.5 hours until timer cuts off on it and the polyps have not stayed out much longer than 2.5 hours TOTAL before.

RN

What type of lighting, what size tank? I have a 9" Coralife light with 2 9w bulbs, one 10,000K daylight PC and one actinic 03 PC. Placed the green star polyps near the top under the filter output and except today (they retracted while I changed water and had the top off and haven't come back out yet), they've been out in full, all day, every day, since I posted about them staying out so long.

Picking up some more coral this weekend. :)

RN

Archived