Pod Your Reef

Help! Where does the alkalinity go?

NCNBilly

I have been trying like mad to keep my alkalinity at 3.5-3.75 and it WILL NOT stay there. I have tried every product known to man - the tank isn't heavily stocked - some zoos, palythoas, mushrooms, and a scleronepthya. I've been adding 10mL of B-Ionic (each bottle) and it just barely stays at 3.0, and my ph drops to 7.95 at night (hits 8.25 during the day). I've lost some corals (softies) and I think it's all related.

So where/what is using up the carbonates that I'm replacing like mad. Now I'm dripping kalk in my topoff, but still seem to be fighting a losing battle. My calcium is where it should be, and I'm not seeing any precipitation anywhere.

HELP!

could be taht- but you know what i bet it is? the fuge you got! mine strips my tank of carbonates- macro algae will consume taht crap out of it; be sure that your keep your macros trimmed down to a low level- too much growth and your going to loose a lot of carbonates- another reason why fuges can be problematic! do you keep your fuge light on 24/7? that would help stabilize the pH some; it also may just tkae a while to stabilize- but just keep in mind there's alot of things competeing for kH..

I'm confused as to how cheato is using carbonates in the water. Fuge is lit 24/7. I can't believe that my 10 gal display with only a few corals is consuming 1.0+ meq/L of carbonates a day. I have a good bit of coralline on the rock, but no SPS, clams, or (now) softies. Can someone enlighten me?

What is your Ca level? Ca and ALK are inversely proportionate to one another in solution. If you have too much of one, it's going to cause the other to precipitate out.

Cheers,

Fred

^^^agreed^^^ I would also check to see how much CO2 is in your place as well if your Ca is at a normal level.

May also recommend adding something in addition to B-Ionic to bring up your Alk.

Oh and how old is the tank?

Ca is a bit high (475 ppm), but nothing is precipitating out that I can find. I've stopped Kalk, and am just dosing RO/DI with 20mL SeaChem Reef Carbonate (liquid) which should put me at 3.75 by tomorrow night, and the calcium should drop to 440 which is close to being balanced. I've been using B-Ionic for about a month now. Alk is back down to 2.5 after it was 3.0 this morning.

This tank was an upgrade from a tank started about a year ago. The live rock was cured for about 6 months prior to this system being assembled. It's been running like this since the beginning of November.

Some possibilities:

When macroalgae exhaust CO2 in solution they utilize HCO3 in a salvage photosynthetic pathway. Try upping your CO2 with additional circulation or aeration. This will also stabilize your pH.

High temp (>84degF), high pH (>8.5), low Mg++ (<1100) can all lead to varying degrees of abiotic CaCO3 precipitation. Any white haze on your heater? Do your powerheads get clogged? Also test Mg++.

Coralline can consume more carbonate than you may think, if it is actively growing.

I also noticed you have Scleronephthya. If it is growing rapidly it will also consume HCO3 (hence the "sclero" denoting sclerites present in the coral body).

Is your sandbed hardening?

In my opinion your Ca is somewhat higher than is necessary, but not high enough to drive the drops you are seeing, which may be the normal consumption rate for this tank. My tank uses ridiculous amounts of alk as well, but it's loaded with SPS and coralline.

I've been doing 2 gallons a week, which is just over 10% using Bio-sea Marine Mix to sg of 1.026. I usually make up 5 gallons, and have it constantly running in a bucket with an MJ1200 and an airstone.

• 2 weeks later...

Just cleaned out the fuge last night. A big section of the sand bed was like concrete. I broke it up (now it's sand again). My ph went up to 8.5, and my alkalinity shot up to 4.5 meq/l. Any ideas what's happening?

Yeah, since your sandbed is aragonite it was providing a place for crystallization of CaCO3 occur. A portion of your carbonate was being transformed into the "concrete" layer.

Once you broke it up, some formerly crystallized CaCO3 re-dissolved - that's evident from your elevated alk reading.

interesting: NCNbilly, what kinda substrate are you using in your fuge? just plain old argonite? im using mineral mud- im assuming the "concrete" occurance can happen to me as well- i better check..

Calcuim doesn't cause carbonate to precipitate out, and carbonate doesn't cause calcium to precipitate out. The precipitate is calcium carbonate - they combine and that is what precipitates.

Steve

The fact still remains that my calcium levels are usually ok, and my alk was low. BTW - since breaking up the brick and dosing saturated kalk my water is spot on alk at 4.75 meq/l, ph at 8.3-8.4 and calc at 475-480.

What is your Magniesium level? I always find that if my Mg is off I have a hard time getting my CA and ALK to balance. Once I get my Mg adjusted the other two seem to fall in place.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

You should also check you alk when you mix up a fresh batch of saltwater. My oceanic needs to be brought up with baking soda before i put it in my tank. I did once mistakingly thinking i had already put in for alk and my LPS look ####ed after the 30% WC..checked my alk and it had brought it down alk to 5.4 DKH, dosed back some Baking Soda brought it back 11 and everyone was happy.

• 4 weeks later...

gmy - you'll have to check your individual bucket, they've been having some batch-to-batch issues.

Personally - I use reef crystals, the mix is a little more expensive than the others, but it saves me tons of money and time in not having to supplement calcium, alkalinity, and especially Magnesium - the supplements will always end up costing you more than a well-made salt mix. I only wish they made it in the jugs like oceanic does :(

Archived