Cultivated Reef

lighting for a strange shaped aquarium

reefguru21

I got a question, my friend has a 54gallon corner aquarium and she wants to be able to keep lps corals such as bubble and open brain. She got a 36" 110watt PC with 50/50's. I was thinking of suggesting another 36" 110watt PC with Actinic03's. Will this be enough to sustain and grow a brain coral, I know that most hammer and bubble type corals will be okay in this lighting but I don't know if the is anyother lighting system to put on the tank and stay below 150 bucks. I you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Open brains have lower lighting requirements than the bubble and hammer type LPS corals, and should be fine under 210W in that tank, assuming it isn't too deep.

However, I'd rethink the choice of putting an actinic bulb in the second fixture. At least put another 50/50 in. Actinic light should make up 30-50% of your spectrum, not 75%. I'd probably actually jsut put a very white (10000K+) daylight bulb in for the second light.

Matthew

I agree with matt on this one, your lighting sounds good enough already, instead of adding actinic, add a 50/50 if not 10K. And of course, the best is to just get a 250W MH pendent..that will owrk the best.

Oh, MATT, I got some really killer Ultra Maximas clams..are you in the market for one? I also got this Really rare GOLD DUST maxima, that clam looks sweet! you should come by sometimes to check out my new setup.

Hey anthony, where'd you get your maxima clams from? Online or somewhere local Orange County? I have a just under 3" purple maxima. Man I dig it. The color and color variations of clams, they're cooler than any coral you can get, imo. I want to get a couple more but that won't be for a few months. I want a blue and green maxima.

The Maximas aer Ultra Electric Grades, the best of the best. I will sell a 4" for $65 if you are interested retail for at least $90+, i only have 2 of the 4" and a 1.5" mini one..hahha..The color is unbelivable..ultra teal, electric turqois. Also have a 2-3" gold maxima and 2-3 Golden dust Maxima (its so rare!)

Archived