Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

i want to help this coral

jenniebutterfly

jenniebutterfly

i bought this at my lfs about 2 weeks ago. got it really cheap, i wanted to save it. so far it expands much better than when i got it, but the flesh is pulling away from the skeleton in one area, it was like this when i bought it, it has not gotten any worse, but i want to know how to take care of it so it does not get worse. anyone have any suggestions for this poor helpless coral? i know it probably will not grow it's flesh back there, but i do not want it to spread to the rest of the coral :)

9765fishy_2321-med.jpg

if your water quality is good and there is a decent amount of flow and lighting, you should be ok. it will take a while but the flesh should regrow

Brain corals grow pretty slowly, could take a while. Just some general advice: unless its dirt cheap I'd shy away from buying corals that don't look good. Often corals just take a long time to die and there isn't anything you could do to save them. IME we all have the urge to buy cheap coral and think we can save them, but I know the tanks/water quality at my LFS (obviously not true for all LFSs) are pretty good and if they're dying there they'll probably die in my tank.

jenniebutterfly

oh yeah the lfs i got it from uses horrible lights ahd water quality is not all that great. the good thing is it does not have any bad smell when it is out of the water, and the coloring is much better than when i got it. hopefully i can save it. :)

• 1 month later...
jenniebutterfly

yeah going back soon to rescue another, i did get a favia, it is still alive, but it was not in too bad of shape. i feel like i accomplished something. i pay $24.99 for these out of the if we keep it, it will die tank lol (i made that name up) but i figure if i get them and save them, i am doing some good. but they had this same exact coral when i got this one, and it was still doing good, and they wanted $79.99 for it, so with a little bit of patience i got a nice coral for like 1/3 of the price

Archived