Innovative Marine Aquariums

pair of clowns for 7gal?

m3 Ryan

Hey guys-

my gf has her tank all setup now and wants a pair of clowns... they will be tank raised, and she wants them to be mated...

what are the best for this? my LFS has juvenile TR Ocellaris for 17.99 each...

are these the best? I have a percula in my tank...

will they need anything to take host to? or will they be content with eachother...? if there is a bubble annonome in the tank, will they take host to that?

TIA!

-Ryan G.

Tank Raised Ocellaris Clowns take hosts more readily than wild-caught ones, but anemones dont do well in small tanks. A pair of small ocellaris clowns would probably be ok in a 7g although it's pretty small. Pick a surrogate coral host instead and keep everyone happier.

I would hesitate to put 2 clowns in a 7g but I am sure it can be done. Just pray that they get along or you may be seperating them. I would guess Ocellaris tank raised would be the best bet.

thanks guys...

what do you suggest instead of a annenome? I have the same tank that she does (A Life) and my percula is perfectly happy with my bubble annonome (that is very healthy)...

Originally posted by Mnesarchus

Tank Raised Ocellaris Clowns take hosts more readily than wild-caught ones

Really? I thought it was the other way around.

printerdown01

Yeah, captive raised are usually just fine w/o a host, while wild caught prefer hosts. I don't know about putting 2 in a 7 gallon though. Is it possible, yeah. But, you will find that you'll need to find a new home for them in about a year or so. IMO they will get too large for a 7. I think you are better off with just one... They won't get lonely I promise ;). Mine is VERY happy ruling over the tank! Clowns will take sarcophytons (especially long polyped ones), frogspawn, fox coral (mine sometimes uses fox now), elegans, and even xenia. It will all really depend though.... Sometimes they won't take anything.

Originally posted by Mnesarchus

Tank Raised Ocellaris Clowns take hosts more readily than wild-caught ones

Duahhhhh.. whoops. Early moring it was when me posted that.

It's the other way around.

Hey,

Just to chime in I have a word of advice. If these guys tell you that two clowns are too much for your Alife7, LISTEN!. I didn't and my tank crashed. I have an Alife 7 and they told me my stocking levels were too high. I did not listen and was an idiot! I will never betray the Nano Yoda's again.

Lawdog

One more thing. he mentions a Bubble Anemone like it is not an Anemone. Are a bubble coral and a Bubble Anemone the same thing? If not what the hell is the difference. God I hate this hobby and love it too much.

Lawdog

Originally posted by lawdoginc

One more thing. he mentions a Bubble Anemone like it is not an Anemone. Are a bubble coral and a Bubble Anemone the same thing? If not what the hell is the difference. God I hate this hobby and love it too much.  

Lawdog

A Bubble Coral:

pw82287bubble_combo.jpg

A Bubble Tip Anemone:

pw80793bulb_anemone.jpg.

One being an invertabrate, and one being a coral.

and its the annonome's that don't do well? I have had no problems.. it was the annonome reccomended to my by several LFS's and its been great for over a month now...

First of all, corals are invertebrates.

Next, I understand your desire to keep two clowns. They are so cute together and we wouldn't want them to get lonely. That was my first nano-mistake though. I had two clowns in a 5g and even though the water conditions were ideal, one or the other was always sick. Eventually, one died and now the other is very happy and healthy. He has taken my peppermint shrimp as a host (I'll post pics soon), so I tell myself he can't be lonely. I'm sure two in a 7g can be done, but realize that they do stand a greater chance of getting stressed out and dying.

Originally posted by m3 Ryan

thanks guys...

what do you suggest instead of a annenome?

I had a pair of perculas live very happily in a colt coral for over a year. The colt didn't seem to mind being constantly rolled around in, either.

But, that was in a 15. Big difference.

My TR ocellaris pair lives without a host, always picking a new place to spawn. And it's not for lack of potential hosts in the aquarium. They jsut choose to be different.

They don't need a host, I wouldn't really worry about it.

printerdown01

The point Mnesarchus was trying to make was that Bubble coral is a coral. More specifically it is a LPS, and thus has a hard calcified base. A lot of people in the hobby (whether right or wrong) will seperate corals from the other inverts. Saying, no this isn't an invert its a coral.... This is not something I practice, but I do not condone it either -as this is a simple way to make distinctions in the hobby. If you were to say, no this is a [insert any genus] not a coral, people would have NO idea what you were talking about... So you are both correct, one is more sceintific while the other is often used to quickly seperate things in peoples' minds. It is no different than referring to cyano and kelp as algae... I will probably continue this one, though ;). Ok on to my point. Like I stated in my first post, it will work until they start to grow. Once this happens your GF will either be facing a tank crash (which will probably kill both fish), the death of one fish (most likely from stress), or seperating with the fish that she has come to love (finding a new home). Personally I wouldn't want to do any of the above... But the latter is probably the best decision. However, the problem is that most aquariests will wait and wait and wait (as they don't want to make the decision) until it is too late! -just a word of caution (and I'm usually the guy who tells people that things CAN be do IF... -scary thought). I usually encourage people to strech the limits of reefing, but even I wouldn't try this one!

Archived