ReefCleaners.org

what is the difference?

SeaFish

what is a refugium and what is a sump? what makes there two function differently? i hvae a built in wet and dry filter in my 12g tank. If possible, how do i make my wet and dry into a sump or a refugium? please share some advice. thank you all.

hi ok about the refugium

Essentially, a refugium is nothing more than a refuge from predation. Sessile inverts and other delicate species need a place to call their own and the advent of the refugium was just the ticket! Isolated, but connected to the main display tank, the refugium allows for common water filtration while at the same time keeping more aggressive fish from impacting it.

I'll take this opportunity to point out that a true refugium is NOT a reverse photosynthesis device! Nope, those are another animal altogether! True refugiums are meant to be SEEN as is the main show tank! Reverse photosynthesis arrangements are meant to be installed beneath the display tank and are a means of primary biological filtration. Not so the refugium!

The focus here is to provide a "quiet" zone for Seahorses, Peppermint Shrimps and other denizens that would otherwise not last long at all in a community tank. While benefiting from the improved water quality that most reef systems provide, this isolation allows for spawning in our shrimps or other animals, as well as providing a nice sand bed for beneficial worms and other sifters.

hope this helps

rocket

hi

A sump is nothing more than a reservoir placed beneath the main display tank. As such, it began it's career as a receptacle for bio-towers and polishing sponges or for wet-dry filtration.

hope this helps ;)

rocket

Guest AbSoluTc

I kinda agree/disagree with rocket..

A refugium also serves the purpose he stated, buts its main goal is NUTRIENT removal. Basically, a natural skimmer. Now, harboring other creatures and such from predation is IMO, a by product of such a system. People us a refugium "IN ADDITION TOO" what its purpose is, for other things. So remember, nutrient removal.

Sump is stored below the tank and houses submersible equipent that does work. Skimmer, pumps, tubing, overflow.. etc etc. Some people combine the sump and "fuge" into one. Still does the same thing as if they were seperate.

HTH

i like to thank you all first for providing the infomation. It is a lot less confusing now=). my other question is, other then a refugium or a sump, what can i make that compartment(wet and dry) into? what about a deep sand bed? the compartment is 14in in depth. If i added about 5 inche of sand into it and let water over flow from there onto the drop plate, would that be a DSB in it self? or will that not benefit me at all? can any one suggest a good use for that compartment? i had remove the bio balls cuz i heard it would be a nitrate factory. what do all you experts suggest? thank you to all of you in advance again =)

Archived