Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

nano rave

chvynva916

I have a nano rave. My sebae clown "dances" to the beat when I put on a techno CD in my room and my brain and alvepora glow under a black light.

Why do corals glow under a black light like that? I mean, I understand scientifically why they glow, but why would they have evolved to produce phosphors? Do black lights have a place in reef tanks?

its the iso and nanochlorplast in the xouxanthalle that flouracine. Triphosphoratic lights bounce light waves in a frequency that is brighter due to defraction in the cell walls.... At least thats the easiest way I can think to explain it with out going all postal scientific.

ps: my tang raves too. I fed it pot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey, my ultimate goal is to have a nano rave as well, currently i have 3 flower anemones that all glow under black light and a false percula that dances to music. i am pretty sure that blacklight is safe because the ones that you buy in the store are not much different from actinic lights and are still quite a bit longer wavelength than the type of UV that causes sunburns and skin cancer and stuff like that, but im no expert. i use UV on my tank all the time though. what other corals and inverts do you know of that glow under black light, and does anybody know of any that glow colors other than green. also is there anything that is bioluminescent? i heard a rumer that there is a bioluminescent brittle star once...

on small tanks i don't think it's a good idea to use so much black lighting. Waay to much UV can burn your corals. My uncle keeps only a 15w on a 120g or else the corals hate it.

Archived