Cultivated Reef

ocellaris clown and yellow tail damsel

archimonde

hi everyone,

I've been a reader in this site for a long time but this is my first msg..

my tank is a 15g tank via aqua, been running for 3 months and i have a yellow tail damsel.. today I just went to LFS and bought a ocellaris clown fish and seems like the damsel keeps picking on the clown..

this clown fish is a little smaller than damsel and the damsel has been picking on the clown for half an hour now.. is this normal, and what should i do?

thanks,

-archimonde

You really should have done a little research on the fish before you bought them. Damsels cab be a very aggressive fish, especially when they are the firsh fish in the tank. He thinks the tanks is his and will defend it. Chances are that he will keep hasseling the clown untill it dies.

I would take out the damsel and try to sell it back to the LFS.

Cheers

P.

yup I took the damsel out and set up my old 6G eclilpse for it.. it was a pain to catch him though.. I had to take out all the rocks I had in my tank.. now everyone is stressing out in there..

the clown is still running around as if the damsel chasing him..

hope he's okay tomorrow

I have a yellow tail as well, and im planning on getting a percula clown. If they start quarreling then the damsel will have to go. hopefully the lfs will give me store credit for it. If not, it goes into the sump...

Archived