ReefCleaners.org

How often do you guys add iodine into your tank?

mike88camaro

Ok this is a question for all you that say that your xenia grow like wild weeds. How often do you add iodine into your tank? And how much of it? I have a 29 gal tank. Please help. I want this ###### to grow like wild weeds in my tank.

I add tech 1 to my tank .8ml every two weeks. I have noticed my zoos growing much faster. Remember its better to add too little than too much. I do water changes once every 2 weeks and I add it the week between water changes.

Remember its better to add too much than too little.
Are you serious?!? It's better to add none than too much! Iodine is an antiseptic- too much can wipe out your entire tank! Never dose anything you don't test for...

Hard to answer. What concentration is the iodide you are adding? What size is your tank? Do you skim? How often do you change the water and how much? What corals do you have?

If i say i add 1ml a week, Without knowing these specs, that info is useless.

Originally posted by Cellenzweig

Are you serious?!?  It's better to add none than too much!  Iodine is an antiseptic- too much can wipe out your entire tank!  Never dose anything you don't test for...

Oh no!! I mean the other way around.... that's what happens when you post in a hurry.

" Its better to add too little than too much" :)

Do any of you that add it test for it? If you don't test for what you're adding, don't add it. Kthx. Don't ask how much they dose, ask what their levels are, then test, and adjust accordingly. Never follow what the manufacturers say. Just test and adapt.

Xenia frag I started with

xenia1dr.jpg

4 Months later

clam8un.jpg

Tank has never been Dosed with Iodine

Tangdude I would gladly trade some of my Xenia but it's attatched to one big piece of LR. I never shipped a Coral and am not sure how to or how well the coral would do. If you were local It would be a snap. Might be easier to just pick one up at the LFS

I am planning to add some small pieces of base rock near the Xenia. maybe it will spread to some of the smaller rocks allowing me to move it.

My LFS sells and trades Customers frags. All the more reason to get some of it out of my tank.

I don’t dose and my elongata ( not sure on the spelling) xenia went from 1 large stock to 4 large stock in one month, I’d say they are about 4inch tall each. And my pompom went from 3 very small stocks about ½ inch each to 8 large 2-3inch stocks and 3-4 small stocks in about 2 months. I do 15% water change every week and don’t dose anything but CA. I find that xenia do well in low indirect current areas like next to the over flow box.

Archived