ReefCleaners.org

what is this? anemone?

spyruleup

Hello,

When I got some cheatomorpha, this was stuck in the middle of it, so I took it, and stuck it in a hole in my 2 week old (pre-cured) live rock. It has been 4 weeks since then, and it has grown about 1/2 inch in length. the bigger "hand" has grown too, both in length and diameter.

It has an faded reddish color, blubous type branching body (almost like fat arms), that end in these "hand-like" structures of 8 to 9 finger like appendages that have these very tiny red spines all up and down the length of the fingers. I have not seen them react or spread out, except to flow in the current. at which the fingers are always pointing down current.

take your hand and touch all 5 fingers together (the kungfu "swan") then add 3 - 4 fingers in an even circle and thats what they look like.

so far their is 4 differing size arms, that are all relitively the same, that all connect to the same "body". I think I see the startings of new arms in the main body, but I can't be sure yet.

does ANYBODY have a clue,

I've included a picture, with a main (best color rendition), and 3 zooms, that give it slightly different perspectives as to what it is, that black cone, is a blue legged Clibanarius tricolor hermit crab.

[view picture here]

btw, this USO (Unidentified Species Object) doesn't seem to be bothered or bother the snails or hermits (only species I currently have).

Any advice will be greatly apreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Spyrule

I think it might just be a type of macro algea but it is kinda hard to tell. I think that i had some of it on a piece of rock also. Mabey someone else has an idea?

Hey thanks,

but I don't suspect it's algae, it is WAY to free standing, and it seems more like some type of soft coral. because when their is no current, it stands up and almost reaches for the light....

doesn't "act" like algae.

thanks though...

might it be a form of Xenia ?

Spyrule

Ok,

Thanks everyone for your possibilities...

turns out my LFS had larger versions of the exact same thing,

ITS A FORM OF brown XENIA! :P

Thanks,

Spy B)

Archived