ReefCleaners.org

What is this brown disc thing swimming around?

SaltyinNJ

Hi, I am looking at my tank today and I noticed a small (approx.3 millimeter) translucent type disc thing attached to my heater. It has a small darker center and is clear brown in color. Very thin and flat. It was pulsing on my heater then proceeded to swim around my tank before it disappeared. What is this thing? Is it a pest of some sort? Please help. Thanks.

Sorry I can't give you pics I know that would be much more helpful.

It definitely was swimming on its own power. It was actually pulsing like a jelly fish would move, but could move pretty quick.

Maybe some sort of jellyfish?

i agree with jdiver, it could be a flatworm. some flatworms can be pelagic and swim, undulating their sides in a waving/flapping motion. very small but quick, up to 12"/sec ime. ziiip! usually nocturnal tho ime.

or it could be a jellyfish/ctenophore (sp?). ??? i'd lean toward swimming worm theory tho.

flying flatworms!!! they don't actually swim but float with the current, i have some in my tank that does that. I have given up trying to get rid of them, its too frustrating.

mine swim with the current and against. but i only see them at late night. not too many, brown/tan in color only about 4~6mm in length and about 2mm in width. they move too fast for me to see any features tho. they squiggle along! :o

ya flatworm. some are ok to have in a tank, others are pains in the wrasse ! Eccolicid flat worms have a roundish red/brown oxice colored body and a central dark "T" with a perpensisty to hang around soft corals and mushrooms. They mostly eat slime and unicelliular algae from the corals surface. TO REMOVE THEM, some wrasses (Fairy spp) will eat them occasionaly. MANUALY you can get a decent sized pippette and when ya see one, simply squeeze the air out of the pippette and place it over the worm, release the bulb and suck it up into the stem of the pippette. IN PLAGUE NUMBERS, a Freshwater dip of 1- 2 minutes will make them mush. the live rock will survive fine. I try to keep the populations low in my tanks, BUT they are benifical and add to bio diversity. BEWARE there is a species that is a coral muncher. if ya could nail a pic fer us close up, that would help.

Archived