Coral Vue Hydros

Powerhead water disruption

spoondigity

I need some advice on how to really disrupt the surface of my water. Right now I have a maxi jet ph in the tank near the surface with the directional tip pointed up to the surface. This works but in my opinion the maxi jet is just way too big in a 10 gallon so I want to get a second microjet (I already have one in the bottom back of the tank) and somehow direct the flow up to the surface. Since the suction cups are on the back I can only face it horizontally. I saw someone mention pvc pipe in one post but I am not sure if they make pipe small enough to use on the end of a microjet. I have considered taking the tip of my maxijet and somehow attaching it to the microjet nozzle, but I don't know exactly how to seal it on the end since the maxijet's nozzle is larger than the microjets. Anyone have some creative suggestions on this?

This is easy and cheap and effective.

Go buy a short piece of vinyl hose (clear tube) from a hardware shop. It is all beverage-grade which means no harmful leeching.

You need whatever size fits snugly around the output of your pump.

Also get a piece of thick, flexible strainless steel wire. Put this inside the hose. Now you can bend the hose, and the wire inside will make it keep the shape. The wire isn't big enough to significantly restrict the flow inside the hose.

If you want real excitement use copper wire :o

harbingerofthefish

MrConclusions' idea seems workable. You could also take a strip of plexi just a tad wider than your PH. Cut it in 3 pieces so you can make a square U shape. Flip the "U" over, stick it in the sand , plop the jet on it and now your ph points up. tada! creative huh?

Get a mini-jet, instead of another micro, and use the deflector from the maxi on the mini. I'm doing that with a mini 606 on my 20gal. What size maxi are you using btw? I'd think a maxi 400 wouldn't be too big for a 10gal.

Some good ideas here. I was actually considering super glueing the maxijet 400 directional adapter to my microjet nozzle. Haven't made up my mind. So you think that the directional adapter would fit perfectly on a minijet? On the micro the nozzle is slightly smaller diameter than the maxijet directional piece. I don't want to use the maxi because it just takes up so much space compared to my micro. Even a mini is getting a little bit bigger than my micro. I am going to have to consider harbinger's idea too. I don't think I want to go with the metal wire in my tank. I just hate having any extra metal in the tank even if it is stainless steel. I can just picture something impaled on the end of my wire somehow hehe.

Just to update what I did. I bought a $14 maxijet 400 so I can use it to circulate my makeup water. I took the adapter from it and siliconed that adapter to a microjet. The microjet is near the surface in my tank and with the adapter it can now shoot at the surface to make waves/disruption. The smallest sollution I have found and it works great.

Archived