inTank Media Baskets

VooDoo Rock

Boneschapel

ok so I just got a new piece of live rock for my nano that will officially complete my aquascaping. I wish I had pictures to upload but I will try to discribe this as best as I can. The rock in whole is about 5" by 4" and mostly flat, maybe 2" deep. I was looking for a small shelf. This rock was perfect not only because of it's dimensions but because it had previously been in an established reef. (Its completely encrusted with coraline algae and has several small mushrooms on it.) I got it from the LFS who had obtained it from a gentelmen who had dismantled a ten year old reef. On what would be the top side of the rock is what can best be described as small rock wedged into a crevace of the orginal rock. It is about the size of a golf ball but obviously not spherical. The small rock originally felt as though it was cemented into the other rock. The other night when I entered the room it looked as though the small rock hopped a bit. I disgarded it as I had seen the movement from the corner of my eye. Tonight I saw the movement again and so I decided to wait it out. After several minutes silently watching the tank sure enough the small rock began to lift from the larger rock almost as though a clam were opening or someone inside the rock were lifting the little rock up. Any quick movements or even sounds and the small rock slams back down into place. It almost looks like a perfect fit except that it is a slightly lighter colored purple then the rock it rest in. I've watched very closely looking for anything that would reveal some kind of bivalve or arm or leg and have yet to see anything. I can tell you that whatever holds the small rock down can apply enough force to keep me from prying it open even slightly. It is hard to get a good look at it tough because any movement scares the rock shut. Even the clown that is in the tank with it. If he comes close. Wham. Any ideas? What could this possibly be?

It's probably a bivalve. Since it's new in your tank, it's probably very skittish. Give it time to adjust and maybe in a month or two it won't snap shut so quickly.

Alright, I got a slightly closer look at this thing and I'm even more perplexed. As I came into the room I walked as slow as possible to avoid disturbing the voodoo rock as I have so fondly nicknamed it. There is definitely a creature under the small rock. The glance it allowed me was quick but I think I can rule out bivalve. It is definitely somekind of crab or shrimp looking creature that is either brown or black. As best I can tell under only the atnic lights. I will find out what this is.

Archived