SaltCritters.com

new B&W clownfish

Sushi

hey all, just wanted to post pix of my new B&W clown, the mis-bar is for a friend, & the full bar is mine, but they've paired up quite nicely just a few hours ago... they're currently hosting a favia (that i just recently got). i dunno if i should break up the pair or just let them be, im leaning towards leaving them together.

anyways, here's a night shot picture of the happy couple...

i also had another question, i noticed the mis-bar had a weird tumor-like growth by the gills... it kinda looks like a white extrusion... not sure if it's a worm or not?

here it is circled, sorry for the poor picture

my maroon had a tumor like thing coming out between the first and second bars. kind of in the middle of the first two bars on the side. looks like a needle got stuck in him. dont know what it is but went away in like 2 weeks. Damn should of took a pic o wells. Hopefully it will go away!

Looks like you got some YOUNG clowns there uchiah ;) Mine are all black but in the mouth. but my female only has a small bit on her lower jaw. My male is losing it on thw forhead.

Good looking pair ;)

thanks for the comments, still gota ask my friend if it's ok to keep both for myself... don't wana ruin his weekend by stealing his fish lol

as for the lil tumor thing, it doesn't really look like a needle got stuck in him, this is specifically on his gill area... looks literally like some sort of clearish excess skin... maybe it'll go away after a bit... i just hope it won't die :(

but on a good note, these two have been eating like pigs under my care, it seems like the captive bred fish are MUCH more easier to handle than wild ones... they also don't exhibit any signs of labored breathing (esp w/the misbarred one)... it just worries me that he has that thing stuck on his gills, maybe it's some sort of parasite or tumor

any other ideas about the whitish clear growth is appreciated...

DAMN it's 5:16, what am i doing up :(...99 all

the misbar actually looks like a saddleback, but alas they are not ... it's a pair of regular old ORA bred B&W ocellaris clownfish (1 full-bar and 1 mis-bar)

Pomby, thanks for understanding... now i gota find out what the hell that white thing on the gill is!

NO that is lympocystis.it will come off if your water is perfect and salinity is higher than usuall.my clown had it andit took a while for it to come off,but it did eventually

ok i did a search on Lymphocystis, i guess this might be a possibility, here's another picture, a little better, but still kinda blurry nonetheless...

any other confirmations on whether this is indeed Lymphocystis?

i just got a pair but idk if they're pairing up. they swim beside each other but every now and again they sorta chase each other.

good or bad?

ps sorry for hyjacking your thred

i am told that when they swim side by side, and stay near each other, they are considered "paired" up... this doesn't mean for 1 or 2 minutes, this means for hours or days at a time... as of now my clownfish only separate to grab food in the water column, after that they eventually find each other again

hey, travis ... how did u come to the conclusion that they are 2.5-3.5 months old?

all i know is that they're ORA bred, but it would be cool to know how u came across the age estimate?

I was just guessing by therer color. The older the Clown is, the blacker it is. your clows still have a orange tinit on the black so they are still very young. Unless the pics are playing tricks on my eyes ;)

ah, i see... yea i knew that they got darker when they got older, and eventually when they grow older, all they're left with is a dark orange chin (like the clown on the left of ur pic)...

my clowns are still "dark" orange along the body so i guess u have an accurate estimate on their age :P

that's what i've heard but i have never witnessed a completely black and white clown... (and i've seen a lot... around 20+ most of them diff. ages, not from the same tank) i guess it's just a matter of time.

cam i get one or a pair in a nano cube or are they too big??? ive heard they get about 3-4in and i know thats too big, but thats what is listed in dr. foster smith...

Archived