Innovative Marine Aquariums

What should all of the water chemistry be at?

exel170

What should all of the water chemistry be @ or anyone knows of a thread.

Ex.

PH: 8.3

Salinity: 1.023-1.025

Calcium: 450

Iodine: ?

Alkalinty: ?

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 10-20

Phosphates: 0

Strontium: ?

Magnesium: ?

I guess just the 4 things that I have a ? next to.

Thanks.

PH: 8.3

Salinity: 1.023-1.025

Calcium: 450

Iodine: 0.05-0.01 (but not sure)

Alkalinty: 3-4

Nitrates: 10-20

Strontium: 6-8

Magnesium: 1300-1350

• 2 weeks later...

You'll see numerous post where people will say that their nitrates are at 0 they are either an idiot or are lying. As long as you have benificial bacteria in your aquarium they will continually produce nitrates. Nitrates over 100 ppm become leathal for fish. For most corals leathal comes over 40 ppm and some even lower. You'd like to get as close to 0 as possible but 15-20 is probably more realistic and probably as close as you'll ever get.

Originally posted by Boneschapel

You'll see numerous post where people will say that their nitrates are at 0 they are either an idiot or are lying.

untrue.

I registered with this forum to get some information about nano reefs. I already have a 100 gal with 30 gal sump and 20 gal fuge, but thought it would be cool to have a 12 gal nano in the kitchen.

However, over the last few weeks I have read ABSOLUTELY NOTHING which would help me keeping a nano reef. My pals on "another" forum have suggested a 12 gal nano needs a 100 gal sump (very funny) but I thought I might get some helpful information here. Obviously NOT...

It seems you'all need to do a lot more research about tank chemistry and get a whole lot more common sense. Learn about the saltwater ecosystem and stop trying to best each other (is that testosterone I sense flying about???).

Just because you can't afford/don't have room for/don't want/don't know how to maintain/can't be bothered with/ a proper SW set up, doesn't mean that keeping a nano reef is a snap. It has taken me a VERY long time to appreciate the physical, chemical and lighting needs of a tank (which by the way is a lot easier the bigger it is) and I thought that those who specialize in nanos might actually have something to contribute.

Silly me.

Originally posted by theexog

I registered with this forum to get some information about nano reefs.  I already have a 100 gal with 30 gal sump and 20 gal fuge, but thought it would be cool to have a 12 gal nano in the kitchen.

However, over the last few weeks I have read ABSOLUTELY NOTHING which would help me keeping a nano reef.  My pals on "another" forum have suggested a 12 gal nano needs a 100 gal sump (very funny) but I thought I might get some helpful information here.  Obviously NOT...

It seems you'all need to do a lot more research about tank chemistry and get a whole lot more common sense.  Learn about the saltwater ecosystem and stop trying to best each other (is that testosterone I sense flying about???).

Just because you can't afford/don't have room for/don't want/don't know how to maintain/can't be bothered with/  a proper SW set up, doesn't mean that keeping a nano reef is a snap.  It has taken me a VERY long time to appreciate the physical, chemical and lighting needs of a tank (which by the way is a lot easier the bigger it is) and I thought that those who specialize in nanos might actually have something to contribute.

Silly me.

Whats up your ass? Where did this come from?

Some dude asked about water chemistry and got an answer.

My nitrates are "read" zero on my Salifert kit.....and I'm not an idiot, nor lying. :)

Exel - fylhtq did a good job, but I'd try to keep NO3 and PO4 at undetectable levels to avoid potential algae problems

theexog,

You're probably trolling and looking for some kind of response to your silliness, but I'm argumentative, so I'll bite:

There is plenty of good information here. If you are truly an expert with larger marine aquariums, then you should already know how to keep a smaller marine aquarium. The principle is exactly the same, of course, but smaller aquariums are more subject to parameter variances due to their small size. How much have you read, exactly? Have you used the "search" feature?

You tell us to "stop trying to best each other", but you are trying to show us how you are much better than us, and how we're miserably failing. Why would you even care to do that? If you don't like what you find (or don't find) here, then go elsewhere.

Please define what you term as a "proper sw setup". And if you see what you believe is inadequate or incorrect information, then do what everyone else does - contribute.

Inadequately yours,

Steve

Originally posted by Boneschapel

You'll see numerous post where people will say that their nitrates are at 0 they are either an idiot or are lying. As long as you have benificial bacteria in your aquarium they will continually produce nitrates. Nitrates over 100 ppm become leathal for fish. For most corals leathal comes over 40 ppm and some even lower. You'd like to get as close to 0 as possible but 15-20 is probably more realistic and probably as close as you'll ever get.

No need for nastiness.

Unfortunately this is flat-out wrong in many ways. Most SPS keepers think 15-20 is unacceptable...

If the metabolism of denitrifying (anaerobic) bacteria in a tank is greater or equal to the metabolism of the nitrifying (aerobic)bacteria then nitrates will read zero (or more accurately, undetectable).

Any tank with a matured and substantial sandbed, or a large ratio of LR to water, or understocked, or any combination of these, will easily have undetectable nitrates. It's not a rare thing at all in a properly set up and maintained aquarium.

Yes, you could say that bacteria "produce" nitrates, but this implies that it is an end product, and it isn't. More accurately, this product is immediately becomes a reactant in the next step of the nitrogen cycle, the production of N2 by anaerobic bacteria. So if there's a preponderance of anaerobes, you don't see any nitrates.

PH: 8.3-8.45

Salinity: 1.026

Calcium: 400

Iodine: .06

Alkalinty: 7-11 dKH

Nitrates: <.2ppm

Strontium: 8ppm

Magnesium: 1350

those numbers are about as close as natural sea water as I could fine

recommended water qyality parameters in the reef invertebrate system per Anthony Calfo.

specific gravity: 1.022-.028(target 1.025)

temp.: 75-82 degrees F (target 78)

ph:8.0-.6(target daily avg of 8.4)

calcium: 350-450ppm (target 400+ppm)

alk: 7-12 dKH(target 8-12dKH or more than 3 meq/L)

ammonia, nitrite and phosphate should be undetectably less than .10ppm(target near zero)

nitrate-nitrogen: under 5 ppm(this is what most test kits read nitrate as)

or the nitrate ion: 0-20ppm(target less than 10ppm)

dissolved oxygen near saturation(target approximately 7.0ppm)

Archived