Top Shelf Aquatics

Propogated Corals & Farm Raised Fish

Hallaster

This is just a message to everyone to ask your local fish store if they stock propagated corals and farm raised fish. If they don't then ask them why not. Be persistent and suggest that they explore environmentally friendly options. It's time we give back to the reefs that have fed our colorfull hobby for years. If each person that reads this post makes an effort to get as much wild caught livestock as we can out of our local fishstore we as a whole can make a big difference for our precious reefs. thanks for reading.

i agree completley but from what i've read on the net, our hobby really doesn't have that big of an impact on wild reefs. what does have in impact is when rich bastards move to the tropics and build entire houses out of live rock. i read an article about it over on reef central.

Although I do prefer, farm raised and tank propogated livestock. The reality is that the hobby takes less than 1% of the total reef materials harvested from the wild. Metznreef hit it on the head. The majority of reef harvesting goes to crushed coral(which includes LR) for roads and masonry. Although I would never discourage tank raised fish, and coral propogation. The reality is that if every reefer in the world only bought tank raised/propogated live stock. The reef harvesting would still be 99% of what it is today. To have a real impact on conservation, you would also have to hit the other side. Try to get Hawaiin conservation laws in Indonesia and fiji. Good luck with that one.;)

Archived