ReefCleaners.org

Coral Problem

Sinistard

I got a green hairy mushroom coral 2 day ago and parts of it are turning brown. Is this something I should worry about and if it is can I do anything to help it?

I attached a picture

Thanks for the help

Hmmm...couple of thoughts.

First off...those look like 'shrooms...and they don't look like shrooms..lol. It almost looks like the "stalks" are too thick..they look like bleached baby Sebae's. Could just be (and probably is) my overactive imagination, but if you could get a better pick of the "foot" or "stalk" we could go from there.

Second...that browning up is probably a good thing. They look bleached all to hell.

Cheers,

Fred

I'm not sure I can get a picture of the stocks, on some of the small ones the stock is as big as the top, on the big ones I can't see the stock at all. If anyone else thinks it may be something else let me know what you think it may be.

I'll try to get a better picture and post it.

Basicaly some of the individual sections are turning brown both the body (if thats what you call it) and the tenticals(again if thats the best name for it) are turning brown,they were white when i got them. Some parts are still white. The worst part is the bottom right.

I'll try to get a better picture, I think I used a flash and it may have washed it out i'll get one with no flash and post it.

Originally posted by FAC_WNY

Hmmm...couple of thoughts.

First off...those look like 'shrooms...and they don't look like shrooms..lol.  It almost looks like the "stalks" are too thick..they look like bleached baby Sebae's.  Could just be (and probably is) my overactive imagination, but if you could get a better pick of the "foot" or "stalk" we could go from there.

no.

they are rhodactis.

Second...that browning up is probably a good thing.  They look bleached all to hell.  

yes.

they are bleached. the flesh should color up to some shade of brown-pink. the tips will most likely stay green

Yea those shrooms are in bad shape...yippie for the brown though... If they are browning I'd leave them alone...maybe try to target feed alittle zooplankton, or cyclopeeze.

They are green tipped hairy tonga shrooms. I have a load of them my self. They most likely went with out light and food versus to much so I would place them directly in the light provided its not halide.

They will color up to a brownish pink with greenish yellow tips. They like to "sit-up" off the rock when they are happy exposing thier base and thier tipps will swell and imulate a bta some what.

I think they will make it they are incredibly reziliant. I would definately target feed them as mentiond for sure. If you can get them to eat they will make it if not its a 50/ 50 shot. This particular hairy shroom loves mysiss shrimp and cylo-peez as well as silversides and frozen krill ( but peal the krill after you though it and remove the leggs.) Thats what mine eat and they are huge.

Archived