Top Shelf Aquatics

pink mouth zoos

balla816

i bought a peice of live rock with pink mouth zoos on it......there are abpout 200-300 polyps on the rock.....i went to my lfs where i bought it and they were open and very bright......the next day i went to go buy them and they were closed because one of his fish kept putting sand on them(you could see the sand on the zoos)....so i bought them neway and i went home and got all the sand off and they opened for 2 days......then i noticed some of the polyps were fallin off anfd and now they wont open.......ne ideas why they stopped opening and started fallin off?

could be a bunch of reasons....zoo eating nudis, fungus, sea spiders(i forget the scientific name, sorry!)...more than likely, they were probably freshly imported zoos and they probably had a bunch of zoo specific predators. did you do a fw dip? if you haven't....take the colony out of your tank and dip them. add a couple(5 or more if you want) drops of lugols iodine per gallon of fw. let them sit for 5-10 minutes and lightly scrub over them with a flat bristled toothbrush to get any fungus or decaying matter off the rock. hth.

well i couldnt wait till later tonight knowing my corals were in jeopardy so i just finished the freshwater dip and i found a centipede looking worm around an inch long crawling out of my live rock.....i picked it out with a pair of tweezers.......i lost around 25 of my 300 polyps to this guy..........i hope he was the first and only one.....i did a freshwater dip last nigvht too and didnt see ne of them so thats two freshwater dips in less then a day i hope everything bad died.......

it wasnt that bad all i did was make sure the temperature and the pH was the same in the freshwater as it is in my tank........i added some iodine and then i put my coral in there for like 20 minutes and the bristleworm was hanging off the rock and i plucked him off with a pair of tweezers and i can see my corals slowly starting to open up......its going to take a while for them to open completely cuz they were in pretty bad shape from the attack

zoos love halides...some times if they are unhappy.(such as needing more light.) they will detach themselves and try and find a more suitable home..zoos dislike bristelworms also.

Archived