Cultivated Reef

20 High or 20 Long?

Frankb1

I have 20 gallon High if you gow with long then you will more swiming room to the fish in length. Long will be better because more light will reach corals as the tank is shorter.

i prefer the longs, it's really a matter of preference :)

here's a couple things to think about before making the choice:

1. how do you plan to aquascape? a "tall" wall, or a "long" bunch of island arches?

2. what kind of lighting do you plan on using? a 150w MH for a 20L would be more than sufficient for keeping anything you wanted. (same with a 20H, but it would be more effective on the 20L simply b/c of height and depth of the tank)

I have a 20 long and am very very glad I went with it....lighting is better for corals, more room for swimming....better oxygen exchange. Yah, you can create some dramatic high rock formations with a 20 high..and I can see the draw of that, but I think its better for your inhabitants to go with a 20 long.

But thats just my opinion, and I am sure there are tons of people who prefer the high, and who have great looking and well adjusted systems with a 20 high.

Just my 2 cents :)

i rally like my 20L all the reason listeda ar my reasons, i also like being able to have more room on the sand bed for LPS like plates and open brains

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

20L for sure... I've learned first hand that wall-type aquascapes are not very effective... they pose problems with flow and lighting...

Dido on the 130 watts... we keep sps in our 20L with a 130watt PC fixture above it... it's even about 12 inches above the waterline for that matter...

check this out if you haven't seen it...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=47256

Archived