Top Shelf Aquatics

Algae Blenny - Lawnmower Blenny

exel170

I was wondring if any of you out there know what I can supplement my Alagae Blenny or Lawnmower Blenny food source with. He is extremely large, never seen a bigger one yet and his belly looks caved in. I've had him for like 1.5 months. I dont beleive I have enough algae in my tank for him to survive. Was wondering if you guys could let me know what else I can feed him.

Thanks. He does graze the rocks. But obviously not getting enough. Please help me help my Blenny.

Thanks again.

Raffaele

Try feeding him some algea that you would feed a tang?

Im just throwing this out there, don't know if it will work. Ask your LFS see what they have as an algea suppliment?

It may be that the Blenny often sold as the "Lawn Mower" Salarias fasciatus, was captured via Cyanide. That would explain the recessed abdominal cavity. Fish captured this was have their digestive system destroyed. That is, they eat, but do not assimilate the food into thier system. This is one of my FAVORITE fish and I hate to think about one in distress. To provide additional food you could take a couple of medium size live rock pieces, place them in some aquarium water near a window to encourage the algae to grow, then place them back in the tank for the blenny to use as a food source. This assumes that your tank is stable and, as you mentioned, NOT producing a significant amount of algae. As for providing perpared food, I don't have any experience. Best wishes!

My tank does get sunlight to promte algae growth. :(( As this is my favorite fish as well I'm so concerned for him. I'm going to try sheet alage, hopefully he'll eat that.

Not sure, but when I read about algae-eating animals of all kinds, they frequently recommend supplementing with dried seaweed. The overwhelming favorite in this catagory is a product used in sushi called Nori. It's supposed to be relatively easy to find.

Anyway, you'll definitely get more specific answers on Reef Central.

Keep us updated because I'm definitely getting one of these guys one day!

Most of them will eat anything. Spectrum Pellets (Small Fish Formula/Thera A), Prime Reef Flakes, Omega One Flakes, San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp, Hikari Ocean Plankton. His favorite seems to be Ocean Nutrition VHP Formula.

Mine will graze all the time but when I feed the other fish (I feed a lot/Anthias Tank) he will eat too. Try some frozen foods.

Good luck

Originally posted by elpez

Most of them will eat anything.  Spectrum Pellets (Small Fish Formula/Thera A),  Prime Reef Flakes, Omega One Flakes,  San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp, Hikari Ocean Plankton. His favorite seems to be Ocean Nutrition VHP Formula.

Mine will graze all the time but when I feed the other fish (I feed a lot/Anthias Tank) he will eat too.  Try some frozen foods.  

Good luck

most people also take 3 months for a lawnmower blenney to get to a stage where they will eat something other than algae.

I would have to agree with ofblong. It took mine about that long to start recognizing other foods. After that I could not keep him from eating anything and everything I put into the tank. He had a bigger appetitie then the clowns.

Things you could try.

If your LMB is still being picky try the following foods.

Spirulina (sp?) flakes/ cubes ------ make sure it has a high content of that stuff

Formula 2------------- it is the algae based mix

Live Brine Shrimp-------------Almost everything eats that stuff

Mysis Shrimp-------------First non algae item my LMB tried

• 2 weeks later...

Would a lawnmower blenny be okay to put into a 5 gallon temporarily? It's fully stocked on everything but coral and snails and algae has built up in some areas. I'm starting a 10 gallon tank as well but am really wondering if it's okay to put the lawnmower blenny in the 5 to rid it of algae until the 10 is ready by purchasing the blenny after the 10 gallon has cycled (so he has an established aquarium to go into) and stocked with coral, a couple hermits, snails and a shrimp.

RN

I'm very glad that several have had good success with other foods for the LMB. My fish load is maxed out now but in future tanks I'll try. excel170, I'd like to stay informed as your fish progresses, either here or at dgirdler@SABER.net

Originally posted by renichms

Would a lawnmower blenny be okay to put into a 5 gallon temporarily?  It's fully stocked on everything but coral and snails and algae has built up in some areas.  I'm starting a 10 gallon tank as well but am really wondering if it's okay to put the lawnmower blenny in the 5 to rid it of algae until the 10 is ready by purchasing the blenny after the 10 gallon has cycled (so he has an established aquarium to go into) and stocked with coral, a couple hermits, snails and a shrimp.

RN

no to the 5 and no to the 10. unless your going to setup a 55g within a month or so.

Archived