Cultivated Reef

For Trade: Rare Soroja Leather Frag for Eagle Eyed Zoas

thebrian

I am planning on fragging my Soroja Leather soon. It is a rare leather that pretty much no information is available online for. I got it from an LFS who has it in their display tank, and fragged it for the first time last year in the 6 years they've had it. The LFS sold 5 frags of it, all in the same month, which are the only known ones in captivity. At the LFS it is a leather that the Skunk Clowns in the display tank absolutely love to host in. My O. Clowns haven't hosted in it much yet, although I have caught them experimenting with it a couple times. It is kind of an encrusting leather that will attach to the LR you place it on. Perfectly happy with 3-5 watts/gallon no harm in more.

I am looking for Eagle Eyed Zoas mainly, although I will consider other rare corals (I'm running out of room in my tank now, and plan on Eagle Eyes and a Blue Tortuosa frag to finish off my tank, but will still consider other stuff). I will ship, provided you will also. Will do a Thermos Swap preferably if shipping. I will also consider money, but would prefer a trade. If more than 1 party is interested and has viable offers, I might be able to do 2 frags.

Image attached...hopefully...

Thanks,

~Brian

10729soroja2.jpg

Part on left that looks closed up is the newest growth.

Picture taken under 72 watts PC lighting in a 12g Nanocube with a treo 600 cameraphone.

Picture is of the unfragged mother colony.

I was told that coral was a Sarcophyton leather. They can reach that large in captivity. I do believe Byerly's has been in business long enough to say it could just be a really big toadstool leather.

That was the best part of their display, IMHO. Hope you didn't get the flatworms that tank had. I ended up with some, unfortunatly, when I bought a frag there once. Comes with the teritory I guess.

Hmmm...I really don't think it's a Sarcophyton...it just really doesn't have the base that the toadstool's have that give them the name toadstool. This is more of an encrusting growth pattern leather of sorts. I'm guessing they honestly don't know what kind of leather that it is, and the "Soroja" part of it is probably the area that it was collected from. And yes, it can grow quite large...it hasn't by any means overgrown my tank, but it's pretty much doubled in size since I got it...there is a reason I'm fragging it so soon. I'm pretty sure I didn't get any flatworms with it.

~Brian

Found this picture of it on their website from before they fragged it. I never actually saw it in person like this because I only have been going to the store since after they fragged it. It looks significantly different in their tank now.

HPIM0156.jpg

Yes, I'm familiar the store. Byerly's, right?

Well, they maintain the coral in that tank with halide lighting, and leathers do not need that much light. When put under it, they can grow 'weird'.

Maybe it is what they told you it was, I guess it just made sense to me that it could be a sarcophyton growing differently under higher than normal lighting.

I haven't been in the store ina few weeks. They used to get some cool stuff in, but I think they get cherry picked by the employees. Or maybe they just aren't getting as cool of coral in anymore.

Oh well.

Actually, I have some eagle eye zoanthids. But, I wanted to trade them for more zoanthids. Got any cool ones?

my tooth hurts.

Not really sure but this thread makes it kill!

looks like a toadstool to me but my judgement is clouded by my sore tooth.

Honestly, I do have a couple other zoanthanid rocks, 1 of which is really nice, and the other is still decent. They're not quite grown to the point where I want to frag them yet. The main reason I started this thread is that I'm trying to find someone that wants a frag of this leather, as I am going to need to frag it soon due to growth and the size of my tank. It very well may be a really fast growing toadstool without a foot. I don't know. I'm in Byerlys pretty regularly though (I get my RO water from them), so next time I'm in, I might bug them about it, try to find out if that's really what it is. I do have a reasonably priced source of eagle eyes if need be, but I was gonna see if anyone that had them wanted to do a trade for a chunk of leather, so I don't have to spend as much money, and I can control the growth of this leather, whatever it really is.

~Brian

And yes, many of the cool corals they get in do get cherry picked by the employees, or put in their display tanks, or saved for their service customers. It's disappointing. That's probably why only 3 of the 11 or 12 corals in my tank came from them...

Ah, I figured I'd ask about trading zoanthids regardless of the answer :)

Thanks though.

Ever been to Inland Aquatics? It's in Terra Haute Indiana and they have some really cool stuff. It's a 4 hour drive, but pretty well worth it. That's where I got my eagle eyes as well as some cool montipora capricornis.

Later

The word "rare" is way over used. Notice how every Acanthastrea is called rare, even the ugly morphs. The coral isn't quite that rare, just the unique color morphs. But people label them all rare regardless.

Perhaps in Lousiana, that leather isn't rare. Maybe yellow polyps are or something rediculous to Ohio reefers is rare there. LOL.

Just saying the word rare is worthless IMVHO.

Archived