Coral Vue Hydros

what is best to feed the xenia...

mike88camaro

to make it grow like wild weed? I have been readin alot about how these Xenia can grow like weeds and I'd love to have a tank full of it. Can someone tell me on what is best for them?

feed it lots of good water quality and decent lighting and your xenia should grow like something else. make sure you stick with a 10% weekly water change so your xenia's iodine source never is entirely depleted. hth.

What about adding Iodine to my tank? Will that also work? I was told to use distill water. What about drinking water? Would that be consider as good water?

There is nothing to show that Xenia need iodine. Some claim it helps, others quite the opposite (to the effect that the addition of iodine caused entire colonies to wilt). With iodine addition, I qould get a Salifert test kit and keep the levels near those of natural seawater, as it may have an adverse effect on corals other than the Xenia sp. Xenia can be weird. Mine have "pumped" the most when I have added nothing to the tank for a couple weeks, other than RO water or Kalkwasser for topping off. You might try some Anthelia sp. They seem to be hardier, much less finnicky (finnicky is a word, right?).

Don't use drinking or "spring" water. Usually have phosphates and have not had process of ozonation. If you can't get RO, get steam distilled from the grocery.

My Xenia is growing out of Control!

in 4 months one small frag has split into 7 seperate pieces.

I have never dosed with Iodine. My water parameters are always perfect. I do a 5 gallon water change weekly on my 72 gallon.

It's actually growing too much at this point

Archived