Top Shelf Aquatics

5.5 or 10

Green-Day711

hi

im pretty torn between getting a 5.5 gallon or a standard 10 gallon. if i got the 5.5, i would have two 32W, with one daylight, and one actinic. if i had a 10, i would probably get a 96W 50/50 quad, http://www.hellolights.com/1851x96wcomf.html . i really want to keep all lps, and some low light sps. would this be possible for either tanks? is the 50/50 actinic/daylight lighting good enough for the 10 gallon? please give me suggestions or comments. thanks

either one would work so see what space you have. you may have trouble with low light sps and color but with good water quality and flow it can be done.

Here's my tank and specs. I went with the regular 10 gal because the tank is cheap. I've still put a lot of money into the tank but I would have put about the same plus the extra cost of the tank into one of the cubes or such. I have been extremely pleased with my lights and would recommend them to anyone wanting to keep the softies and low light sps. I would recommend going with the largest tank you can afford to set up because you'll soon want bigger :)

Couldn't get the image to show in the thread so just put the addy in.

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...&cat=500&page=1

10 gal AGA with 20" Current Satellite 40W 10,000k/460NM actinic, 18lb LR, 20lb LS, 2 maxi-jet 600 PH's on a Natural Wave power strip.

I use an old Whisper 4 w/d filter as a fuge. I took the bio-balls out of the back compartments and replaced them with Chaeto macro-algae, on top there's a piece of glass aquarium top with an 18 total watts Coralife mini aqualight which stays on 24/7. The water in the back compartments runs over charcoal filters onto drip pans which trickles down into the front compartments onto cut to fit filter pads. I put the pads in the front compartments to keep the air bubbles out of the tank.

Inhabitants:

hermits, snails, 3 peppermint shrimp, fire shrimp, 6-line wrasse, corals; Red Sea xenia umbellata, xenia elongata, purple nepthea, finger leather, protopalythoa's, giant anthelia, sea rod, colt, several color zoos, neon green mushrooms, blue mushrooms, 2 types green star. macro algaes; red, green and bubble kelp, red and green gracias(sp)too many types of plants and macro to name. Haven't id'd half of them.

a 96 watt quad retro is 18.5x7" including the reflector... you could get two and set them at an angle / in a custom hood... it would be very inefficient, but you could do it...

I went with a 10g and I absolutely love it! It's been up for 10 months now and it is PACKED with life! I have a thread about it on this very forum!

Archived