inTank Media Baskets

Live Rock

willmsbrg

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there has a good idea on the best type of live rock to use and perhaps a good place to purchase from. I am looking to get something that is porous, and has decent color and perhaps some life on it..

Thanks

Robert

Just my opinion and point of few...

I personally prefer the "branch" type of rock, Fiji, Tonga, ect. It is very light weight and porous... not only providing good water flow through the rock but TONS more surface area than denser more "boulder" type rock. There is lots of nooks and crannies as well for coral placement. Due to it's light weight there is also the more "bang for the buck" aspect. I think the Gulfview and Tampa Bay rock is gorgeous but that stuff is SO dense. I have seen pieces of it that are no bigger than say a softball that weigh like 5 lbs.

Thank you all for the posts and the Pics... I will definetly check these sites out also....

Robert!!! I can only hope that what I end up with can look as good as some of the reef tanks here!!!

Indeed it is $2 per pound.. However, I believe the shipping kills me on that.. 50lbs. would cost me as much to ship as purchase..

I will look over some of the specials they have..and the Rock does look quite good... Thanks for the site... I might find something to buy there in any event!!

Robert

IF I REMEMBER. HE SAID THAT SHIPPING WAS SOMEWHERE IN THE .40 TO .60 CENTS A POUND RANGE FROM CALF. TO OREGON I THING THATS CHEEP $2.60 A POUND. LFS HERE SELL FROM $6.00-$8.99 A POUND.

STARR

gulf-view.com ships overnight via DHL for cheap. I ordered 40 lbs of rock and sand and it was only $8 more than picking it up at the airport. I hate going to the airport.

And the rock does not look like boulders, in spite of what some people like to say about aquacultured rock.

Archived