Top Shelf Aquatics

Own one of these?

a novice

Hey everyone,

I've noticed this tank on ebay quite freuqently and it seems really nice. I know that the guy who makes them is over on RC and I was wondering if anyone here has bought one or heard of someone who has. The tank is a 18 gallon cube with a built in sump. I think it includes a skimmer and a canopy. The tank can be found here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2060290258

Good?

Bad?

Experiences?

Thanks!

Im partial to tall columnar tanks with a decent surface area... so I say get it. my 37 rocks..... very stable. nearly the same dims... 18 X 20 X 25 H

LIGHTING yer a tad limited though ya will almost be better off finding a retro HM kit that will fit in there with a fan and some PCs first, but it all depends on what you are planning to keep.

It could be nice of you like the looks of it. It'll need some good lights, being a narrow deep tank that means more smaller bulbs instead of fewer long ones. Not a problem with modern PC's. It would be nice if the canopy could fit 55 watt bulbs, but 28/32 watt will certainly fit.

A few of the photos near the bottom of the page are not of the same tank... or they're items that aren't included (like the bio-ball filter that you don't want anyway, and the overflow box you don't need for a built-in sump.)

Hmmm....

I was thinking of putting a 96w powerquad fixture on the tank. The long term goal of the tank would be a clown/anemone tank but we'll see how sucessful I am and go from there.

I would still like to hear of someone who has one...I know you're out there.

Thanks!!

One of my friends has a pair of powerquads on a 36" tank. They're impressive... if you lift them up they're blinding! Hers have all four tubes white (I don't know the kelvin rating) but I know the most popular ones now are 50/50 actinic. I say go for it, it's a cool bulb!

Well, I would like to use the 96w but I'm not positive if it'll fit. It'll be really close, if it is too big it'll be like 1/4 or 1/2 inch too much.

I'm curious about the skimmer on this tank... that's why I want to hear from someone with the tank.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the link but I had already found that site... great prices!

Upon further examination of the sizes, I think that the most light that I'd be able to fit in the canopy is 3 x 32w. I'm worried that even with a fan it would get too warm... ideas? The tank is like 15x15 which really limits the lighting options. I like to know what you'd recommend for lighting this tank.... MH isn't really an option.

Thanks ...

Archived