Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nocternal Polyp ID

Stuffs4Me

This little guy came in on my live rock and I have yet to ID him. He is a large (about quarter size) polyp. He has a long thick flesh colored base that is about and inch long (from what I can gather when he extends out of his crevice). His oral disc has a visible mouth and neon green coloring around it. He has short tentacles all around his disc and is only visible at night and retracts slowly when exposed to light. Here's the best picture I could muster.

Hope you can help. -Mike

Picture159.jpg

Its a certain species of anemone?... I can't remember what kind... sorry lol

I had one aswell... slightly orange in coloration... Your is different only by color as far as I can tell from the photo

Could be wrong!

Not exactly, Brain. I did a search on orange ball and the pictures I found don't exactly match what I have either. My creature's tentacles are not as long and not orange at the tip. Also the disc is not very clear as it is a fluorescent green. However their behaviors match exactly. Shrinks away to nothing at the first sign of light. Also I noticed that it seems to have moved up on the rocks and inch or two! So confusing. I'll try to take a better picture tonight after lights out.picture tonight after lights out.

Archived