Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AAARRRGGGHHH! Aiptasia

SBGRAD24

So, I get home from the LFS with a beautiful, coralline encrusted piece of LR. It must have come from a tank that was taken down. After finding the perfect spot for it, I noticed about 5 aiptasia anemones on it. The piece also has a beautiful red coco worm on it. Is it easier to kill the aiptasia or take the rock back to the LFS. I really like the rock and would rather not take it back. Any advice?

i had a problem with aiptasia too.  It was all over my glass.  I got a peppermint shrimp and now the only ones I have left are a couple that are too big for the shrimp to eat.  Some people say the peppermint doesnt work but it worked great for me.

the pepermint will not eat your polyps and it most likely wont eat your aiptasia either. they should and do often but mine wont eat it. inject it with kalkwasser.

I injected it with boiling water and the aiptasia seemed to disintegrate into a milky white stew. I tried to quickly siphon out the remnants but I wasn't able to get it all. Will those parts now cause the stuff to spread elsewhere in my tank?

I found that injecting them was difficult, especially the little ones.  I just squirted kalk paste right in their mouths.

They shrink up into thier holes and dont spread around.

If the cells that float away are still living, then yes, there is a potential for these to grow into a new aiptasia.

I posted this link on another aiptasia post but I will post it again.  This stuff works like a charm.  Inject it into the bigger ones and they die immediatly and pop off the rock for easy removal.  For smaller ones, just coat the little buggers and they dissolve.  Reef safe so no need to worry if a little gets into the tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ad_cm.asp?CartId=

Archived