Pod Your Reef

question on filteration.

SeaFish

my wet and dry filter comes with the acrylic 12 gallon hex flat back tank. Is the wet and dry filteration good or bad for reeef tanks? i heard some say bio balls are bad cuz it would promote nitrate and some say its essential. i am confuse. can anyone give me the details on this?

It's essential if you're not using liverock. With an appropriate amount of LR in your system, you don't need any additional filtration. Most of us have embraced this natural method, and have allowed wet/drys to go the way of the Reggie Bar.

well, i have ls and lr. if i want to take out the bio balls, what can i do with tha compartment of my tank since it is bulit in? any suggestions?

thanks for your reply. i did do a search at the search forum. it mostly talk about how to make one and how to connect the tubings or build one. i want to know about how i can make the compartment into one not how to build one with a separate tank. the compartment is actually an overflow section on my built in wet and dry filteration system. can anyone advise me?

The short answer is put a light over it and stuff it with caulerpa. Ideally, a fuge would have a more gentle flow rate than your overflow compartment likely has, but you should still be benefited by the macroalgae. If you're able to put sand/rock in there without it getting blown around or sucked into the return, all the better.

I really don't have much to add to this thread. But, I saw satchmo, was part of it.....and , uh...well, I don't know quite how to tell you this.....but, I just thought your avatar should know...sorryX) X) X) X) X)

Originally posted by SeaFish

Is the wet and dry filteration good    i am confuse.  can anyone give me the details on this?

I confuzed too..... waht is filteration?

for FILTRATION.... you could use some smaller pices of LR in the back... it will be basicaly the same as the biobals, BUT you will be able to also have some NNR effects in the center of the LR by anaerobic bacterium.

REE- FUGE-I- UM......Noun.: A safe place.

not to be mean, but have you read any reef related books?

pick up THE NEW MARINE AQUARIUM by Mike Palletta... it should be your speed. It would refinately help with your multiple posting of necessary BASIC reefing 101 simple 10 second answer questions. ;)

Archived