ReefCleaners.org

The dreaded Flowerpot.. DUN DUN DUN

phergus_25

My mom recently went to the LFS and came home with what the guy had called a moon coral. I was skeptical but then when I saw the polyps come out I was a little freaked out. It was a flowerpot coral. He has been in the tank for about 2 weeks and has opened up and done OK, though its way too early to know for shure. He is too small to feed brine shrimp so I'm at a loss as to what to feed it, i'm Hatching some baby brineshrimp now so hopefully he can eat the day old ones.

flowerpot.jpg

i really want one of these corals, but from what i heard i dont think ill be gettin one any time soon :( What are their reasons for having such a bad rep?

Well you need to feed them also they need strong light, I hear that you can't put them directly on send because worms would invade them and kill them. They LPS corals and I just gut one yellow flower pot that I got for 24.99 so wish ne luck

Strong light not necessary for goniopora sp., will adapt to many schemes. Problem is lack of info. Usually do well for a year or so before polyps retract and fail to expand again. Friend of mine has large refugium providing more food (copepods, etc.), and never feeds his goniopora. Has been O.K. over 2 years. However, given track record in any aquarium, goniopora sp. best left to M. Nature until more is known.

Archived