Cultivated Reef

JBJ 12g nanoCube Mod

chicagoman_35

chicagoman_35

Finally got my 12g nanocube after several FedEx mishaps.

I read in several posts about what is usually the first mod to the setup, replace the pump! Well I never saw anyone using the one I found and am using. It is an Aquaglobe micro powerhead, 1/2 the size of the original and cranks out 300GPH! Online pricing is between $13-$18.

Check the links!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pet-guys/-6999...1300007660.html

http://aquaglobe.com/select02.html#prod03

Man, that's a lot of flow. Do you really need that much? I just ordered the mini-jet 606, supposed to come in tomorrow. I bot it cuz so many people on these boards found them to be reliable and provide plenty of flow. anyway, that's my thoughts.

hey chicagoman that is the pump i was wanting to buy !!! is plumbing same size as stock cube pump ? i was thinking to tee off return line with added valve to feed a simple airstone driven smimmer that i am making for compartment #2

Not to jack the thread, but doughman...what does the airstone skimmer (I reckon that's what you meant to type) do? I might consider that!

Also, I was looking into either drilling a 2nd hole in the back compartments as well to add more flow, but decided against it. I wanted to just get a stronger pump and get a T splitter.

Where can I get one of those T Splitters to replace the little for the flow return to the tank? Can anybody give me a link or the size I will need to get to fit that pipe? Instead of drilling another hole I was just going to get those splitters to direct flow to 2 different directions. Thanks.

chicagoman_35

The aquaglobe pump has same size output diameter. The pump hooked right up... It also has an adjustable flow rate. I have mine running all out! I also placed my stock pump into the tank to provide a little counter flow.

yeah that was skimmer,, instead of venturi driven (xtra pump& extra heat) and instead of simple airstone driven co-current . I wanted to make a simple square acrylic skimmer to fit perfectly into compartment #2 and route some excess flow from aqua globe pump to create a simple counter-current skimmer with limewood air stone.

I dont mean to hi-jack...Question for those who use 606 pumps as stock replacement. Do you put it on the lowest flow setting? Since I modded my overflow I noticed that I now have to have my 606 on the lowest setting. Otherwise if I go higher than the lower setting the water drops in the back compartment area and rises in tank part to the point it touches my light. I also have a 404 in the display area. Will a 606 on the lowest setting be sufficient flow/aeration?

Here is a pic of my mod. Im waiting on my live rock shipment and rubble to put in the back.

1389015sump.JPG

(hope the pic works)

Chamber one is completly sealed and spills over into chamber two. Any suggestions? Critisism? Comments?

Archived