Pod Your Reef

hitchhiker hard corals?

davinaster

I have three colonies of very, very tiny polyps growing on one of my pieces of LR (I'm not sure where it's from :() They are way too small for me to get a picture, so I'm going to do my best to describe them:

• the area of the rock that they grow out of is lavender
  • the polyps are closely spaced
  • they are 1-2mm wide
  • they have brown tentacles
  • they have a center that is a very pale blue with just a tinge of green
  • when disturbed, they retract all the way into the rock

I keep "thinking massive Aiptasia infestation"? But these are definite colonies, in specific places on the rock, and I am absolutely certain that they retract into the rock (which they only do once I have convinced myself to a certainty that they are Aiptasia;))

So, can anyone tell me what I've got, if they're dangerous, and (if not) whether they're going to live and how to care for them?

Thanks!

It sounds like aptasia to me, dude... Possibly hydroids, also... If it is a coral colony and you're not done cycling, then you have a very good chance of losing it. We really can't make a good ID w/out pictures, bro...

There are three colonies, all on the same rock. Two of them are maybe 1 1/2" apart. The third is about 4-5" further down the rock. The polyps themselves are spaced no more than 1 mm apart, with their tentacles touching. I just did some more research and saw that Aiptasia can live in colonies, but these guys really do contract entirely into the rock. I swear! I know, no help w/o pics. Darn, I wish I could take close ups...

There's a colony of about 9 polyps in top left and another one with 3 at the bottom right. I have a feeling I'm going to get hit with a lot of "yup, definitely Aiptasia responses" :(

100-0053_IMG_edited.jpg

But I'm finding them fascinating :nerd:

tenoverthenose

just kiding. That picture is really too out of focus to make a positive ID. Do you think you can get a better picture? Try putting the camera on a tripod, if you don't have one use a chair or a pile of boxes, something to steady the camera while shooting.

Tom

Well, I let my 4 year old take this one, so that it could be as fuzzy as possible :) Seriously, though, it was the best I could do - these things are tiny :( I figured I post it and hope for the best...

Originally posted by TJ_Burton

A certain species of Galaxia coral

Hey! I found one picture of a Galaxia that looked a little like them - thanks! I'll definitely grow them out and see what happens...

Archived