Coral Vue Hydros

How do you frag Kenya Trees & Xenia?

mike88camaro

Hey folks, can someone tell me how to go about fragging Kenya trees and Xenia.

Do I just cut one of the branches off the tree and attach it to the rock? How much should I be cutting off?

As for the Xenia, do I just cut off one of the hand thingie? How much of it should I cut?

I am a newb to this fraggin stuff. Please help.

jenniebutterfly

ok, i have heard (note never done) that you should cut where there is a branch, but cut it so that there are 2 branches coming off of a piece that is about 1/2" long. then insert that 1/2 inch long piece into a hole in a rock and use a rubberbandto hold it into place by putting it in between the two branches for about 2 weeks until it gets a hold on the rock and then cut off the band. i hope that made sense :)

Originally posted by jenniebutterfly

. . . i hope that made sense :)  . . .

I understood it, I just had to read a few times over. :D

how long should you wait, or how big should it get, before you friggin frag it?

Ok folks, thanks for all the replies. I had never done this before so I decided to try it. I did it on the kenya tree. I cut it as FIONE azz Jennie said to do. But instead of using a rubber band I use Super Glue to attach them to the rocks. Guess what happened when I woke up this morning... The frags were up and looked pretty happy to be moved away from their parents. If you are wondering what brand of superglue, it just say Super Glue on the tube. No name brand. I am going to frag more tonight and fill my tank up all over the place with new frags. Man it was a cool feeling to see my frags happy this morning.

I just recently cut my xenia, and 4 out of 5 pieces cut from one xenia stalk are doing amazing.

I just pulled the xenia rock out of the tank, snipped the stalk, making sure there was still a piece on the original rock, then put the original rock back in the tank.

I took the cut piece, and tried my best to quarter it. Somehow I made 5 instead of 4 pieces. Obviously I can't count well.

I couldn't get any superglue to glue the slimey pieces on, so I used bridal veil and rubberbanded the xenia onto some shells that were in my substrate.

About three days later polyps started expanding out of the bridal veil so I removed the veil, and they've attached themselves to the shells.

The one that didn't make it attached itself to the bridal veil, I super glued the bridal veil attatched piece to a shell, but the xenia just melted into the water a few days later. But four survived, and are reaching further and further towards the light.

It's cute. Myyyyy babbbbbies.

but what differentiates between a kenya tree and a xenia?
Kenya Tree is a leather. The flesh is generally pretty firm. Although it can shed a mucus coating, it can generally be attached using glue. With leathers, I personally prefer using rubber bands or literally sewing the leather to the rock using a needle and thread (thread can be removed after the frag attaches.

Xenia, on the other hand is soft, mushy and covered in slime. It is pretty much impossible to glue xenia to anything. The best methods of attaching it are to use a rubber band, bridal veil or just pin it between two rocks. It will attach very quickly, often in a day or so.

Originally posted by Cellenzweig

Kenya Tree is a leather.  The flesh is generally pretty firm.  Although it can shed a mucus coating, it can generally be attached using glue.  With leathers, I personally prefer using rubber bands or literally sewing the leather to the rock using a needle and thread (thread can be removed after the frag attaches.

Xenia, on the other hand is soft, mushy and covered in slime.  It is pretty much impossible to glue xenia to anything.  The best methods of attaching it are to use a rubber band, bridal veil or just pin it between two rocks.  It will attach very quickly, often in a day or so.

I concur. I used to propgate a ton of Capnella and Xenia. I would cut the capnella and superglue or tie to a piece of lr (preferred). For xenia it grew so fast and well that I would lean a piece of rubble against a stalk and it would be attached within a day then I'd pull the rock back a few cm's the next day then on the 3rd slice where it had been divided. I had a few xenia jungle tanks and still have my capnella rainforest (capnella grows out of the surface and keeps light from the bottom of the tank).

still have my capnella rainforest (capnella grows out of the surface and keeps light from the bottom of the tank).
Sounds interesting. Any pics?

Sure thing. Will take some tonight and start a new thread.

Also another way of propogating Capnella is by branchlet dropping done by the capnella itself. It's rare though so cutting is a better and quicker way. :)

Archived