Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fish Selection

cLoWnGoBy

.....I really need to know which category of fish i should go with for my 7.5 gallon nano/refugium combo(haven't purchased it yet but will soon)

a.) one bangaii cardinalfish and one green clown goby

b.) one pearly headed jawfish (I will have a sand bed of at least 3.5 inches so burrowing is not a problem)

c.) one mandarinfish ( if i do get him i will make sure my refugium is producing enough copepods to satisfy his hunger needs)

~OK now that i have stated my categories I need your replies-which group do you think i should get? Other suggestions are appreciated but please don't say clowns because i already have one occelaris clown and one tomato clown in one of my other tanks. Thanx.

printerdown01

I personally wouldn't recommend any of the above... I don't know how large you refugium is, but if it is included in the 7.5 gallons, it probably isn't big enough... -although some algae are much better at maintaining HIGH pod populations, kinda like ultra dense pod pops. Um, you should be able to safely go with a bangi or a clown goby (which are semi hard to feed). Have you looked at small gobies? You should be able to pull off two of them: perhaps a red-headed goby and a neon goby... A bangi and a clown goby are too big to inhabit a 7 together -IMO. A jawfish would just require more surface area to graze through, and unless your refugium is massively pumping out pods (or you can find a tank raised manderin that will accept prepared foods) a manderin would starve to death.... -again just my opinion, you might be able to figure out a way to accommodate one of these guys using some method I haven't though of yet...

About the only way I think you can produce enough pods for a mandarin is to attach a >50 gallon sump.  If thats not within your budget I wouldn't look twice at that fish.

The cardinal is the only suitable choice, as far as i know, I have no experience with the clown gobies. And the others are unacceptable for reasons already stated.

Thanx for the input so far I am also thinking about the cardinal with the goby and if the cardinal grows to large just move him in my 29 gallon......but if anyone else has anymore suggestions please keep them coming!

well if you can find a mandarin that is eating prepared foods it would be awesome....the cardinal is fine but the clown goby i have found to be not ok. they are very picky feeders and i feel are just as hard to keep as the mandarin. id recomend somehting like a neon goby or something like that along with the cardinal

I agree with printerdown, non of those sem like a good idea. Maybe a firefish, or a clown (ocellaris), or a small damsel, or maybe one Bangaii. Pick ONE of these. You definitely should black list the Mandarin in a nano (75 gallons or more is needed with 100Lbs of rock or so.)

Archived