Cultivated Reef

Algae Plague. Please help!

realhiphop

I've had my tank setup for 2 months, and I recently added 2 false clowns. After adding them, I noticed an abundance of algae growth. I'm pretty sure its red slime. It looks like slime, covers the rock and when I scrape it, it comes off in what seems to be a layer.

I know that the addition of excess waste from the food and clowns adds to algae problems. I only feed once every other day now, and cut my lights to being on 8hrs a day.

I'm currently using Instant Ocean Salt, and Distilled Water. Can anyone help me get rid of this algae. I siphon as much as I can when doing my water changes but than the next day its back.

I've been doing 2 gallon water changes twice a week and seen no improvement in the last 2 weeks.

Advice is very much needed.

where are your minijets pointed? if the algae is occuring in certain areas more than others you may want to increase water flow into those parts.

do you have a cleanup crew? fish food is not entirely digested so significant nutrients are just passed through :x just to end up on the substrate. hermits, worms, and critters will munch that up and lock it into their own biomass.

i'd recommend examining the water flows and getting a small cleanup crew. 5~10 small blue-legs and a couple of snails. i'm slightly reluctant to recommend more bioload, even if they're cleaners, because your system's still not fully mature (clowns added at 6 weeks) but the hermits shouldn't add too much load and the snails will be earning their keep. good luck!

I currently have 4 blue legs , 2 astrea, 2 banded trochus, and 2 baha snails.

The problem is still there. My minijets are pointed at opposite ends of the tank on the side. How can I added diversity to my sandbed. I've heard of ipsf, but could I add a sand activator in a cycled tank without bringing about another cycle?

NO-CYA-NO by Fish Vet. its awesome red slime destroyer. ya probaly have phosphate issues now that the fish are there. run a skimmer and add some caluerpa to compete fer nutrients.

Archived