Innovative Marine Aquariums

Will a red leg hermit eat a turbo snail?

Guy

I recently added a few turbo snails to my tank and one red legged hermit. I am down to 2 snails and 4 have gone to the great tank in the sky over the past 3 weeks. They appear to be healthy and the only thing that is remotely a predator in the tank is the red legged hermit.

There is enough growth on my rocks for them to eat and I orginally planned to add more, but not until I figure out why they are dieing.

The shells appear to be empty when I check. it doesn't seem like they just died and are still in the shell.

Thanks

guy

one word answer... I promise it will only sting fer a minute or 2 .....

LOL

DAUUHHHHHH ....

snails are on the menu if sick or dead. OR if the crab wants the shell fer a trailer park he is setting up.

Sorry I wasn't more specific.

I know that blue leg hermits etc will eat snails, but I thought red leg hermits were algae eaters, not omnivorous.

Guy

printerdown01

Red legged hermits, like their blue legged and zebra counter parts, are omnivorious... However, I'm assuming that your red leg is really small and your hermit is really big. I highly doubt that you hermit is the culpret. Three questions: 1) How old is your tank? 2) What are your parameters? 3) How big is your tank? ...ok, and one side question: how long does it take for them to die (are we talking like 2 days or weeks here...)?

The tanks is a 29 gallon set up about 3 months. I used all cured rock from my 55 gallon.

The paramaters are as follows:

SG 1.024

PH 8.3

Temp 78-80

Ammonia O

Nitrates 10

Cacium 420

DKH 8

The first died about a week after being in the tank and the others were about a week apart. So the fourth one died about a month after being in the tank. Maybe there isn't enough for them to eat, I usually see them on the glass rather than the rock.

Guy

Archived